]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

PSYART Home

PSYART  October 2009, Week 2

PSYART October 2009, Week 2

Re: Felix de Mendelssohn & Duke Ellington

Phillip Freeman <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion Group for Psychology and the Arts <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:30:34 -0400

text/plain

Dianne,

I have heard ego psychologists called many things over the years but
soulful and jazzed up are not among them. These days, with American
psychoanalysts engaging all too often in evangelical, market-driven,
quasi-scientific aspirations to be loved, and European analysts falling
off the Bionian edge into mysticism, it  takes a dowser's rod to find
things psychoanalytic. The "tired wisdom of European philosophy" might
not be as "can do" as we Americans would like but probably steers a bit
closer to the search for truth that Freud believed liberating.

Best,
Phillip