LISTSERV Archives

PSYART Home

PSYART  October 2009, Week 2

PSYART October 2009, Week 2

Re: characters in Eng. Lit.

Ron Tuch <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion Group for Psychology and the Arts <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Oct 2009 18:17:03 -0400

text/plain

dianne hunter wrote:
> I mean 3-dimensional characters were introduced into literature by
> Shakespeare (e.g. Hamlet, Iago, Cleopatra), and that representation of
> 3-dimensional characters are a specialty of British Literature, though
> of course Balzac, Dostoevsky et al. also represent complex characters.
>  I meant that characters recognizable as real people with complex
> personalities was first done in Eng. lit.--by Shakespeare, then
> Webster, Defoe, Fielding, Congreve, G. Eliot etc.  Postmodernism then
> did away with characters, and we now have a literary, filmic, and
> theoretical landscape dominated by identities rather than personalities.
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> *From: * "J. R. Raper" <[log in to unmask]
>> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
>> *Date: * October 7, 2009 3:09:34 PM EDT
>> *To: * [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>> *Subject: * *Re: character vs. identity*
>> <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
>>
>> Dianne,
>> Thanks for backing me up.
>> You mean they were "given by the English" back in the !8th c. and
>> continued into the 19th--because Balzac and Dostoevski came on the
>> scene later?   Someone brings up the Balzac and Dostoevski quibble in
>> a later message but I believe I sensed where you were heading.
>> Jack

One of the major flaws in Hamlet rests on a simple fact: Shakespeare has
given Gertrude no excuses, no voice, to justify her
marriage to Claudius. Hamlet confronts her with a barrage of insults and
condemnations, and all she has to say is that he has
"cleft my heart in twain"  Gertrude's failure to defend herself more
substantively is deliberate on Shakespeare's part. He knows that
giving her a voice which legitimizes her marriage to Claudius would put
the play into a dead stop. Why does she not tell her son that
she had to marry Claudius to protect herself from certain death and
protect Hamlet himself, that she knew that marrying Claudius would guarantee
Hamlet's safety.  Had she expressed these thoughts to him, Hamlet would
have no cause to continue assaulting her.
The play would come to a dead stop and the whole oedipal issue would be
robbed of its legitimacy.  She loved Hamlet so much
that she was willing to marry this "mildewed ear" for him.  Her love for
Hamlet is even noted by Claudius who points out that for Gertrude the sun
rises and sets with Hamlet.   Her silence is not part of her "character"
but rather a literary construction that keeps the play
going to its final tragic consummation.