]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  November 2009, Week 1

RECMGMT-L November 2009, Week 1

Re: RAINdrip: Ariz. Court Requires Metadata

Andrew Warland <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Nov 2009 08:08:03 +1100

text/plain

On the subject of document metadata, colleagues in the US with time to
read it might be interested in an much quoted Australian case
supporting the admissibility of electronic documents in evidence heard
in the New South Wales Supreme Court (Asic  v  Rich  [2005] NSWSC 417
(5 May 2005)). In this specific case, the Properties element of
spreadsheets stored on a network drive was discussed at great length.

The text can be found at this URL:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinodisp/au/cases/nsw/NSWSC/2005/417.html

Here are some extracts:

12 The finance directory of the I:/Drive contains nearly 25,000 files.
Counsel demonstrated the operation of the I:/Drive in court. ...

13 The documents tendered ... include "properties pages", about which
there has been contention. In his affidavit made on 13 September 2004,
Mr Bannister briefly explained properties pages. He said that
Microsoft Windows automatically generates and updates "properties"
information for computer files created using Windows applications such
as Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word .... He continued:
"The 'properties' information includes time and date 'stamps' which
automatically record when a particular file is created, modified,
accessed or printed by reference to the setting of the relevant
computer's internal electronic clock. The date a file is 'created'
refers to the date that a file is saved under a particular name or the
date that a particular file is copied. Thus the file properties may
show that a file was 'created' after it was 'last modified'. A user
may view the 'properties' of a file by navigating to a 'properties'
page for that file...".

14 In the tendered documents  ... two properties pages (were
provided), one being the "General" page and the other being the
"Statistics" page. The copies of the properties pages provided ...
appear to be superimposed on the first page of the document to which
they relate, and this makes it plausible to infer that the properties
page relates to that document. But sometimes this correlation does not
appear to be established, or the properties page is illegible.

15 In (one) case ... a different kind of property page was produced,
entitled "Summary", which identified the "author". Mr Bannister did
not explain whether the "author" is the person who "created" the
document or "modified" it or "last saved" it.

16  (It was) submitted that the properties pages are an integral part
of each document in electronic form, but Mr Bannister's evidence does
not go so far. What he suggests is that one "navigates" from the file
to the properties pages. I infer that if one carries out the
navigation correctly, the properties pages that are reached are the
properties pages for the file from which one launched the navigation.

17 It seems to me that, although the "created" and "author" boxes are
problematic for reasons given, and the "modified" box is unhelpful to
the extent that the author of the modifications and the nature and
content of the modifications are not indicated by it, the "last saved
by" box is some utility for documentary tender purposes, provided
there is evidence linking the properties page containing that box with
the document in question. I have taken it into account in those cases
where the link between the properties page and the document is
apparent. But the prerequisites for tender and admissibility can be
established in other ways, where the properties pages do not assist or
have not been tendered.

Regards
Andrew Warland
Sydney, Australia