Skip repetitive navigational links

Colleges...Flu Cases/Path to Transfer collaborative program/They Don't Read

Dan Kern <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Nov 2009 07:36:28 -0600

Colleges Continue to See New Flu Cases

Ninety-eight percent of the 265 colleges and universities being tracked by
the American <http://www.acha.org/ILI_Surveillance.cfm>  College Health
Association reported new cases last week of H1N1 or similar flu-like
illnesses. The figure compares with 97 percent the prior week. Most of the
cases being reported continue to be mild.

Source:  http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/11/13/qt#213195

ACHA Pandemic Influenza Surveillance
Influenza Like Illness (ILI) in Colleges and Universities

With preliminary epidemiologic data on novel H1N1 flu suggesting significant
risk among those in the college setting, ACHA deems it epidemiologically
valuable to identify disease burden and population based attack rates of
influenza like illnesses (ILI) [ICD-CM Diagnosis 487.1] on college campuses.
ACHA has thus undertaken an effort to enlist (on a voluntary basis)
interested institutions of higher education to submit data on a weekly basis
regarding the number of new cases of ILI. Additionally, given reports of
significant variability of H1N1 vaccine availability across the nation,
beginning October 30, 2009, ACHA has undertaken monthly reporting on the
availability <http://www.acha.org/ILI_Surveillance.cfm#vaccine>  of the H1N1
vaccine, as well as the vaccine uptake in a continuing effort to assist the
CDC, public health officials, and all college health professionals in
tracking national vaccine trends for the college population.

New ILI cases reported include those seen in the student health service,
those triaged over the phone by a health care professional but simply told
to self-isolate and not be seen in the health service, and those known by
the health service to have been seen in a local emergency department or
urgent care center.

  _____

 <http://www.acha.org/ILI_Epicurve_Enlarge.cfm>
http://www.acha.org/ILIimages/Epicurve_spot.gif

RELATED LINKS

http://www.acha.org/images/triangleyr.gif
<http://www.acha.org/ILI_ProjectDescription.cfm> Project Description

http://www.acha.org/images/triangleyr.gif
<http://www.acha.org/info_resources/ACHA_Guidelines_H1N1_Sep09.pdf> ACHA
Guidelines: Campus Response to Novel Influenza H1N1 (.PDF)

http://www.acha.org/images/triangleyr.gif
<http://www.acha.org/ILI_H1N1Vaccine.cfm> H1N1 Vaccine Availability & Uptake
(Cumulative Data-Monthly)

http://www.acha.org/images/triangleyr.gif
<http://www.acha.org/ILI_Archive.cfm> Archive of Previous Weeks' Reports

The links below depict weekly case data for the period October 31-November
6, 2009 as reported to ACHA, as well as ACHA's cumulative case data and an
epicurve chart reflecting weekly ILI case counts and weekly attack rates.
The fourth link below provides summary information on the availability of
the H1N1 vaccine and the vaccine uptake among reporting institutions.

In this weekly period of influenza activity, a total of 8,951 new ILI cases
were reported (15 hospitalizations) among campus populations totaling nearly
3.1 million. Ninety-eight percent of 265 colleges and universities reported
new ILI cases, compared to 97 percent reporting new cases the prior week.
The nationwide attack rate was 29.0 cases/10,000 students, one percent
higher than the prior week's rate. Consistent with CDC reports, flu is
widespread nationally on college campuses and fluctuation in disease
activity varies significantly both on local and regional levels. Again, no
deaths were observed among the reporting institutions for the weekly period
of October 31st through November 6th.

"Among this sample of over three million students, we have now observed
nearly 74,000 cases of ILI since late August. Still there have been only 138
hospitalizations and no deaths, indicating this disease remains generally
mild. Nonetheless, all of us in college health are hopeful that H1N1 vaccine
will become more widely available to our students in the very near future.
The best hope for reducing the impact of the pandemic on campuses and to
prevent further transmission throughout our communities is to achieve higher
rates of vaccination," according to Dr. James C. Turner, president of the
American College Health Association and executive director of the department
of student health at the University of Virginia.

    http://www.acha.org/images/triangleyr.gif
<http://www.acha.org/ILI_LatestWeek.cfm> Weekly College Case Data [ICD-CM
Diagnosis 487.1]

    http://www.acha.org/images/triangleyr.gif
<http://www.acha.org/ILI_Cumulative.cfm> Cumulative Data Since Report
Inception [ICD-CM Diagnosis 487.1]

    http://www.acha.org/images/triangleyr.gif
<http://www.acha.org/ILI_Epicurve.cfm> ILI Incidence Epicurve Chart [ICD-CM
Diagnosis 487.1]

    http://www.acha.org/images/triangleyr.gif
<http://www.acha.org/ILI_H1N1Vaccine.cfm> H1N1 Vaccine Availability & Uptake
(Cumulative Data-Monthly)

Note: These data do not represent all institutions of higher education,
nationwide.

Limitations: State case counts and rates do not represent the complete
incidence of ILI in the state's population, nor the incidence of ILI among
all institutions of higher education in the state. The case counts and rates
only represent those institutions of higher education that participate in
the surveillance program.

Suggested Citation: American College Health Association. American College
Health Association Influenza Like Illnesses (ILI) Surveillance in Colleges
and Universities Fall 2009: Weekly College ILI cases reported. Linthicum,
MD: American College Health Association; 2009.

Source:  http://www.acha.org/ILI_Surveillance.cfm

Path to Transfer

November 13, 2009 Share This Story

A 15-minute drive in Massachusetts's Pioneer Valley separates Mount Holyoke
College from Holyoke Community College, but sometimes the two institutions
can feel worlds apart.

A collaborative transfer program between the two institutions, however, is
providing an opportunity for high-achieving and often disadvantaged local
community college students to attend not only the prestigious women's
college but also a number of the area's other selective liberal arts
colleges.

The Community <http://www.mtholyoke.edu/news/stories/4036054>  College
Transfer Initiative at Mount Holyoke began in the fall of 2006 thanks to a
$779,000 grant from the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, which had also given
funding to six <http://www.jkcf.org/grants/community-college-transfer/>
other highly selective public and private institutions around the country
for similar access programs. Mount Holyoke has committed itself to
increasing the enrollment of "low- and moderate-income" community college
transfers students by 10 students per year through the four years of the
grant. The institution also has increased the number of annual community
college recruitment visits from 20, mostly in the northeast, to about 40
nationwide.

In its first full year, according to a program evaluation
<http://www.jkcf.org/grants/community-college-transfer/grant-recipients/moun
t-holyoke-college/mount-holyoke-college-achievements-and-promising-practices
/>  from the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, Mount Holyoke received 156 transfer
applications from community college students and admitted 83 of them. This
is up from 107 applications it received the previous year. The next full
year, Mount Holyoke received 178 community college transfer applications.
The college was unable to provide updated admissions statistics, but
officials say the number of community college transfers has increased in the
past academic year. Although such numbers might appear small compared to
large public universities in many states, these figures are highly unusual
for elite private institutions.

Though Mount Holyoke has increased its outreach to community colleges around
the country, most of the work it is doing starts at home with nearby Holyoke
Community College. Mount Holyoke gave more than $300,000 in its grant funds
to help establish the community college's Pathways
<http://www.hcc.edu/admissions/trnsfer.html#Pathways>  Program, an effort at
the two-year institution to push "strong, committed, under-represented
students" to transfer to selective liberal arts colleges in the area. In
this way the program hopes to enroll students not only at Mount Holyoke but
also at institutions like Amherst, Smith and Hampshire College by providing
them with many academic support services not offered to all students, such
as academic and financial aid counseling and special seminars with Mount
Holyoke faculty.

Both the community college and Mount Holyoke now have full-time transfer
coordinators to help ease the process for interested students. Once students
are identified for the program while at Holyoke Community College, they have
many chances to interact with students and faculty at Mount Holyoke.

Fifteen students from the community college have the opportunity to take a
Math <http://www.mtholyoke.edu/news/stories/5219994>  Transition Seminar at
Mount Holyoke - a five week, non-credit course that allows the students to
get to know the four-year campus and interact with its students and faculty.
The course also provides these community college students with a glimpse of
what coursework, particularly mathematics related work, will be like at a
four-year college. Though Mount Holyoke is a women's college, this course -
like all of the other collaborative efforts between the institutions - is
offered to male students as well. The goal is to expose these students to
the type of small, liberal arts experience they might also encounter at a
nearby co-ed institution.

"For a lot of folks, mathematics is the last thing they'd pick to feel
comfortable in a place," said Charlene Morrow, a professor at Mount Holyoke
who teaches the special course to interested community college transfers.
"That's kind of why we chose to offer it to these students. You can feel a
lot of empowerment if you understand it. This is about teaching problem
solving in mathematics. It's not meant to be remedial or as a refresher, but
to get them to approach mathematics differently."

Though the course focuses on mathematics, Morrow acknowledges it is also
about integrating these students to the foreign environment of Mount
Holyoke's campus.

"We start the course over at the community college for a week to get their
minds on mathematics, because they're already fearful enough about coming
over here," Morrow said. "Once they see that we're all human and not that
different from their current instructors, we bring them over to Mount
Holyoke for the final four weeks. They're in a regular classroom and we
usually have a course assistant, who is a Mount Holyoke student. Most of
this, however, really is getting them to envision themselves here, walking
around the campus. Throughout the class, though it's not the focus, we also
talk about what fears and anxieties they may have about transferring."

Students from the math seminar also interact with peer mediators from Mount
Holyoke's Frances <http://www.mtholyoke.edu/fp/>  Perkins Program, a
scholarship for non-traditionally aged students who typically have
transferred in from a community college.

Karen Crossi, a 33 year-old senior and a peer mentor, successfully
transferred to Mount Holyoke from Holyoke Community College because of its
Pathways Program.

"Mount Holyoke was never on my radar," she said. "It always seemed like an
impenetrable school that I'd never get into and I never thought I would want
to go to. Nobody in my family had ever gone to college and, being in the
valley long enough, I knew Mount Holyoke as an elitist place. But, after
visiting and meeting others from my background, I understood that Mount
Holyoke wasn't just a place for women who were sculpted from birth to go to
a place like this."

She said she hopes to pass along this message to the Holyoke Community
College students who she mentors on campus.

"A lot of students worry that they are unprepared, academically, for a place
like this," Crossi said. "They also worry that their socioeconomic class
will be an issue for them to get in. Those two aren't the case. It's always
more meaningful to hear that from someone who's walked in your shoes than
from someone in an office. It makes it more believable. I can tell them what
classes to take at the community college to be more successful here and
provide other insight that they won't get elsewhere."

Holyoke Community College officials refused to comment for this story
despite multiple requests, but a 2007 performance measurement report
<http://www.mass.edu/library/Reports/2007PMRExtracts/Holyoke%20Community%20C
ollege.pdf>  of the two-year institution by the state indicates that 150
students were served by the program that year. That year, because of the
program, 17 students were accepted to Mount Holyoke, 14 to Smith, 2 to
Amherst and 1 to Hampshire.

Jane Brown, vice president for enrollment at Mount Holyoke, said the
college's recent initiatives have made the college more community college
friendly. She noted that there are about 180 community college transfer
students at the college currently, accounting for nearly 8 percent of its
student population. About half of those students come from Massachusetts
community colleges, and 38 of those are from Holyoke Community College.

"This is a historical effort for us," Brown said. "We were founded as a
college for women of modest means. You sometimes think of Mount Holyoke as
being a typical selective New England college. But, if you're interested in
finding the best and brightest women, more of them are now coming from the
community college system. . This isn't really about enrollment. Because so
many of the students coming from community college require such enormous
financial aid, I wouldn't look to this population if I just wanted to fill
beds."

Though the grant-funded program at the institution does not have a financial
aid component, Brown insists that the college will find a way to fund any
student who is accepted. She estimates about 90 percent of the community
college transfers the college attracts are eligible for some sort of
institutional aid.

Still, the true payoff for Brown and other Mount Holyoke officials is the
success these transfer students attain at their institution. Brown noted
community college transfers are often over-represented, relative to their
percentage of the student population, in the number of those receiving Latin
honors at graduation. Community college transfers also graduate in
comparable percentages to those students who got their start at Mount
Holyoke.

"It's a way to bridge the divide," Brown said of the college's success in
attracting two-year transfers. "At least for a lot of the local community
college students, they could not imagine themselves at a place like Mount
Holyoke, even though we're just down the road."

Mount Holyoke is not only admitting more community college transfers -- it
also hired one to be its next president. Earlier this month, Lynn
Pasquerella was named the <http://www.mtholyoke.edu/newpresident/>
college's new president; she will take office next summer. She graduated
from Mount Holyoke in 1978 but transferred in from Quinebaug Valley
Community College, in Connecticut.

-  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> David Moltz

Related Stories

*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/11/09/cref> The Long Talk
Continues
November 9, 2009
*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/11/06/ashe> Catching Up to
Canada
November 6, 2009
*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/11/05/gates> Collaboration
on College Completion
November 5, 2009
*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/11/04/harass> The Curious
'Sexual Harassment' Charge
November 4, 2009
*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/11/03/moodys> Revenue Dip
for Private Colleges
November 3, 2009

C Copyright 2009 Inside Higher Ed

Sources:
http://www.insidehighered.com/layout/set/print/news/2009/11/13/holyoke

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/11/13/holyoke

Instant Mentor

 <http://www.insidehighered.com/advice/instant_mentor> Instant Mentor

They Don't Read!

November 13, 2009

By  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> Rob Weir

Related Stories

*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/11/13/powerpoint>
PowerPoint Studies
November 13, 2009
*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/11/11/ccny> Choose Your
Own Freshman Comp
November 11, 2009
*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/advice/leaving_academia/hikel6>
Those Humanities Ph.D.'s
November 11, 2009
*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/11/09/capture> Fans and
Fears of 'Lecture Capture'
November 9, 2009
*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/11/09/nsse> More Engaged
November 9, 2009

Over the years I've often taught Edward Bellamy's classic 19th century
utopian novel Looking Backward. It's a blistering critique of Gilded Age
America and a creative imagining of a future in which work, social class,
gender relations, and the political economy have been radically
reconfigured. The novel is provocative and rich in ideas, and its premises
spark great debate. What it's not is a page-turner. Most of the book is an
extended lecture interspersed with occasional questions and a contrived (and
mawkish) romance. Students sometimes complain that the book is "boring."
I'll take that - they have to have read it to render such a judgment.

Any book we assign is useful only insofar as students actually crack the
cover and consume its contents. One of the biggest complaints one hears in
the hallways and faculty lounges of American colleges concerns literary
dieting. The professorial mantra of the 21st century is: "They just don't
read." All manner of villains emerge to explain students' repulsion toward
reading: Internet surfing, video games, cell phone obsession, campus
partying, over-caffeination, lack of intellectual curiosity.. When all else
fails, professors whet their knives to slaughter tried-and-true scapegoats:
television and inadequate high school preparation. Here's a tip about why
they don't read: they never did! In previous articles I've noted that
instructors often mistakenly assume that all students share their zest for
learning. Alas, often we are but credit-accumulation obstacles that students
must dodge.

There's been no Golden Age of student reading in my lifetime - not when I
was a student, a high school teacher, a community college instructor, a
lecturer at an elite institution, or a prof at a state university. Move on.
Think like Edward Bellamy; he was a utopian, but he was no fool. His ideal
world did not rely upon people's good natures; it was structured to remove
choice from the equation. Everyone had to work - not a bad way to approach
reading in your classrooms. If you want students to read, make it hard (or
impossible) to avoid.

Step one is to assign appropriate material. Just because you found an
800-page specialty tome to be spellbinding doesn't mean your students will.
Don't expect undergrads to get excited about most journal articles either;
you'll need to teach them how to approach such dense reading. Seek material
that is appropriate for what students need to know - the more engagingly
written and short, the better. When you can, feed them small doses of the
stuff they're used to seeing, such as Web sites, blogs and graphic novels.

Writing assignments help ensure reading (and kill two skill birds with one
stone). These need not be elaborate. In reasonably-sized classes I require
periodic two- to three-page papers for most reading assignments. Four or
five questions appear on the course Web site and students must write about
one of them. The list has the added benefit of providing discussion fodder
on the day the assignment is due. It also allows me to monitor student
writing and gives me clues about what I must address before a major
assignment comes along.

I'm hearing virtual protests - "That's all well and good for a small class,
but what if I have a lecture hall filled with 150 students?" If you have
teaching assistants, that helps, but even if you don't there are ways to
assign writing without spending each week reading 450 pages times the number
of classes you teach.

One way is to read papers carefully only a few times during the semester. Do
it early on and send papers back to students with a grade and lots of red
circles. This sends the message that you expect the assignments to be
completed and done well. This allows you to skim papers and make random
remarks throughout the semester. Sometime before midterm and finals do
another close read. Develop a grading or points system and don't accept late
work if you have a big class. This drives home the lesson that deadlines are
deadlines. ("Sorry Charley, but you just forfeited five points.")

A more devious way to accomplish the same thing is to give weekly writing
assignments and tell students you will collect them randomly during the
semester. Make it really random, as in collecting several weeks in a row and
then neglecting to do so in non-discernible patterns. I'm personally not
comfortable with a controlled-terror approach to teaching but I've seen it
work. One panic button I do push is to walk into class and announce a
two-minute paper in which students must write what they learned from the
reading assignment.

When I have multiple large classes in a semester I sometimes opt for a
milder variant of the "gotcha" approach - I collect and keep track of who
hasn't handed in work, but I don't grade every assignment. (A word of
caution: Students tend not to like systems in which professors merely "check
off" their work, so you ought to grade a few.) Another variant is to grade
different students' papers each batch. Choose from the pile until you've
read each student's work at least twice during a semester.

Another way to reinforce the need to read is to construct lectures and
discussions in such a way that reading is a prerequisite for comprehension.
One should allude to materials in the reading - if you don't, expect
complaints that you made students buy things you never used - but don't
waste class time with a point-by-point rehash of the assignment. I often
clue students about what they need to pay close attention to in order to
understand an upcoming lesson. In that lesson I entertain questions about
the reading, but I seldom walk through it.

In like fashion, write lectures around reading concepts and content, or spin
them in a new direction, but don't repeat what the readings say. This works
in many disciplines. Engineering professors can build demonstrations, labs,
and lectures around concepts and formulae that students must first master
from their texts; legal scholars can assign case law that must be read in
order to follow the logic of their lectures; management professors can
sprinkle their lectures with terms whose meanings are explained in their
readings; and so on.

If you give exams, make certain that parts of those exams are based on
material that could only have been gotten from the reading. (I warn students
that I will do this, lest I have to field "We didn't go over this in class"
complaints, and I don't have to deliver a "This isn't high school" retort.)
I don't recommend basing an entire exam on out-of-class reading - that's a
correspondence course. Nor should one base questions on obscure, arcane, or
hopelessly complex material, but the basics are fair game.

Research and reflection papers should definitely require student writers to
grapple with assigned readings. This can be done simply by inserting a line
in the instructions such as: "Your paper must draw upon assigned readings
(specify which ones) in a substantial manner that demonstrates your mastery
of them and your ability to synthesize these with outside sources. Papers
that fail to reference these works will be marked down accordingly."

There are scads of other ways to encourage reading. Discussion leaders can
give quizzes, assign student presenters for each reading, or hand out
advance questions in the form of a single sheet with blank spaces for really
short responses. You can design tasks no more demanding than generating a
list, applying one equation, or explaining a solitary concept. I've asked
students to read material until they understand several identified ideas and
can explain how they apply to examples that do not come from the reading. It
really doesn't matter what you devise so as that you do apply a stick to go
with the reading carrot.

I'm sure some of you are thinking "But what if students don't know how to
read critically? Isn't all of this wasted on them?" Perhaps; and perhaps
this is a way to separate learners from the halt and lame. Two quick
thoughts - first, we should stop moaning about what students don't know and
teach them where they are. Thinking, reading, and writing critically should
be a basic component of 100-level classes. Second, the right to an education
isn't the same as a guarantee of success. More on such matters in a future
article. For now, let's think like Edward Bellamy and remove non-reading as
an option.

Go
<http://www.insidehighered.com/layout/set/print/advice/instant_mentor/weir16
#Comments>  to comments (2) >

Comments on They Don't Read!

*	Good Advice, even though . . .
*	Posted by Muriel Slash on November 13, 2009 at 8:00am EST
*	I disagree with Professor Sloan on teaching utopian nonsense like
Looking Backward. Students want to learn about the real world, not waste
time on utopian fantasies.

I do like his use of the terms "carrot" and "stick." Most students are not
naturally motivated. They must be motivated from without. Only in a utopia
would they be self-starters. Most college students are preparing for the
workforce where they will be "carroted" with the lure of job security and
"sticked" with the probability of none. Globalization is imposing more
discipline on workers all the time. The ONLY balm to that is mindless
consumerism. Let's educate them accordingly: How, as managers themselves
someday, to cater to consumers on the one hand while ripping them off with
the other. None of this utopianism whereby workers/consumers get the idea
that they can participate effectively and mindfully--and in solidarity--in
how they produce and consume.

*	More ideas
*	Posted by Ken McElrath , CEO at Skoodat on November 13, 2009 at
8:15am EST
*	In principal, these ideas have worked with some success in my
classroom. My mods look like this: I post readings in pdf format on my class
site in order of their due date. Kids can work ahead. Only three out of 15
are more than 5 pages in length. I then ask the students to right one
paragraph about thoughts stimulated by the reading. In addition, they must
use the class site to respond with comments to at least three of their
classmates' thoughts. This encourages a dialog that improves comprehension.
Some semesters the kids really get into it. Other semesters are lackluster.
Different classes seem to have different personalities.

Related Stories

*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/11/13/powerpoint>
PowerPoint Studies
November 13, 2009
*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/11/11/ccny> Choose Your
Own Freshman Comp
November 11, 2009
*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/advice/leaving_academia/hikel6>
Those Humanities Ph.D.'s
November 11, 2009
*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/11/09/capture> Fans and
Fears of 'Lecture Capture'
November 9, 2009
*	 <http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/11/09/nsse> More Engaged
November 9, 2009

C Copyright 2009 Inside Higher Ed

Sources:
http://www.insidehighered.com/layout/set/print/advice/instant_mentor/weir16

http://www.insidehighered.com/advice/instant_mentor/weir16

Dan Kern

AD21, Reading

East Central College

1964 Prairie Dell Road

Union, MO  63084-4344

Phone:  (636) 583-5195

Extension:  2426

Fax:  (636) 584-0513

Email:  [log in to unmask]

http://www.studentveterans.org/

Veterans Day 2009: http://www1.va.gov/opa/vetsday/

www.vietnamwomensmemorial.org

Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is
it politic?' Vanity asks the question, 'Is it popular?' But, conscience asks
the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take a
position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it
because one's conscience tells one that it is right. (Martin Luther King,
Jr.)

Instruction begins when you, the teacher, learn from the learner. Put

yourself in his place so that you may understand what he learns and

the way he understands it. (Kierkegaard)

To freely bloom - that is my definition of success. -Gerry Spence, lawyer
(b. 1929)    [Benjamin would be proud, I think.]

April 2021
March 2021
February 2021
January 2021