SOCNET December 2009

Re: Pattern-Based Strategy

Mark Goetsch <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:49:13 +0000

text/plain

Capitalized words are the equivalent of loud shouting so my ears are ringing a bit here.

I agree with the sentiment and so would most in this community.  This is not what I was addressing before.  The issue is not that metrics should come first. The issue is not to misrepresent results and make unwarranted predictions. Up to this point Drucker, Porter, Collins, and Peters have relied on case based analysis to validate their theories. This has met with very mixed results. Social network analysis is not case based and has a much stronger scientific basis and operates using generative theories rather than case based observation. Where Collins would say this is how great companies act he does not drive into the generative reasons that would cause successful individuals to congregate, for example. It may be that successful individuals get together for only a short period of time before natural Darwinian processes tear apart the relationships. I have no reason to believe this outside of the fact that this is just as explanatory as the results from Drucker and the rest.

If we read Burt we see that brokers show above average salary returns. Individually this is really interesting. What is the balance between brokers and relative isolates that ensures a companies success? That is not well understood.  We see some research in teams that suggests that there is a balance point in how cohesive a company is and that is interesting. Does this lead to the success of a company? If we look at complexity theory this balance could be the very undoing of a company (thing of Conways game of life and the difficulty in generating self-perpetuating structures).

In time maybe this we will answer some of these questions (at least to some small extent). We are not there yet and need to be smart with how we represent this.

Mark Goetsch

From:         "John T. Maloney (jheuristic)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:         Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:08:12
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [SOCNET] Pattern-Based Strategy

Mark Goetsch, et al, see below. -j

Thought Leaders - Friends of Russell Ackoff

Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne's Enterprise Thinking Network welcomes friends of
our late colleague and mentor, Russ Ackoff,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_L._Ackoff

who died on October 29th in Philadelphia, only a week after hip surgery, as
reported in an In2:InThinking Network special-edition announcement.   A
number of Russ's friends, including his "guys" group from Bryn Mawr, will
join us to share stories from their collaborative efforts with him, and
answer questions and respond to reflections from those participants who knew
him from a longer distance.

For those fortunate enough to visit with Russ, they would have seen and read
this treasured letter from Peter Drucker, hanging on his wall after
receiving it on his 80th birthday;

"I was then, as you may recall, one of the early ones who applied Operations
Research and the new methods of Quantitative Analysis to specific BUSINESS
PROBLEMS -- rather than, as they had been originally developed for, to
military or scientific problems.  I had led teams applying the new
methodology in two of the world's largest companies -- GE and AT&T.  We had
successfully solved several major production and technical problems for
these companies -- and my clients were highly satisfied.  But I was not--we
had solved TECHNICAL problems but our work had no impact on the
organizations and on their mindsets.  On the contrary: we had all but
convinced the managements of these two big companies that QUANTITATIVE
MANIPULATION was a substitute for THINKING.  And then your work and your
example showed us--or at least, it showed me--that the QUANTITATIVE ANALYSIS
comes AFTER the THINKING -- it validates the thinking; it shows up
intellectual sloppiness and uncritical reliance on precedent, on untested
assumptions and on the seemingly "obvious."  But it does not substitute for
hard, rigorous, intellectually challenging THINKING.  It demands it, though
-- but does not replace it.  This is, of course, what YOU mean BY system.
And your work in those far-away days thus saved me -- as it saved countless
others -- from either descending into mindless "model building" -- the
disease that all but destroyed so many of the Business Schools in the last
decades -- or from sloppiness parading as 'insight.'"

-j

John Maloney
The Future of Networks
Mail: http://1id.com/=jheuristic