]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

GRADSTUDENT-L Home

GRADSTUDENT-L  2010

GRADSTUDENT-L 2010

August 31: Deadline for UF I-Cubed Graduate Photo/Video/Writing Contest

Gregory Orloff <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Jun 2010 14:34:10 -0400

text/plain

The UF Innovation through Institutional Integration (I-Cubed) Program is pleased to announce a special photo, video and writing contest among graduate students in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM), and social, behavioral and economic (SBE) disciplines.

The theme of the contest is Communicating Science and Research. The contest has three photo, three video and two writing categories. The purpose of the contest is to showcase UF graduate student research experiences and to communicate the stunning world of scientific imagery to a wider audience. All winning categories will be posted on the I-Cubed website: http://i3.institutes.ufl.edu.

PHOTO CATEGORIES: Enter one category only

1. ART: An image that captures the beauty of scientific, technological or engineering discovery.

2. ACTION: An image that captures a scientific, technological or an engineering process or phenomenon.

3. PEOPLE: An image that captures the communication of a scientific, technological or engineering discovery to people.

VIDEO CATEGORIES:

1. ART: A recording illustrating the beauty of scientific, technological or engineering discovery.

2. ACTION: A recording demonstrating a scientific, technological or engineering process or phenomenon.

3. PEOPLE: Recording the act of communicating a scientific, technological or engineering discovery to people.

WRITING CATEGORIES:

1. "Science is Fun!" - Write a brief (up to 500 words) essay about how science (i.e., your field) can be fun, including the wonders of science and research. The essay should be written for the general public.

2. "My Experience Communicating Science" - write a brief (up to 500 words) essay on your experience communicating science to the general public (e.g., in schools, universities, local communities, professional conferences, etc.). The essay can also be about the importance of communicating science to the general public.

AWARDS:

Judges will award only one winning entry for each category. The winning entry will receive a $200 award to buy research equipment and/or supplies, or fund research related travel. Total prizes to be awarded: $1,600. The winners will be announced at the awards ceremony at the NSF Research Day in October 2010.

DEADLINE:

5:00 PM on 31 August 2010

For contest information and submission instructions, visit: http://i3.institutes.ufl.edu/I3%20calendar.html

Thanks for considering this opportunity!

Innovation Through Institutional Integration (I3)
170 HUB, P.O.Box 113225
Tel. 352-273-1531
Fax: 352-392-5575
http://i3.institutes.ufl.edu/