LINUX-L 2010

Re: CUPS printer aliases?

Dan Stoner <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:38:00 -0800

text/plain

# lpadmin -p HP8150DN  -c lp1  -E
# accept lp1

/me notes that "-p" must be specified as the first option before "-c".

And now printer named "lp1" is available to commands such as enscript and lp.

Thanks everyone!

- Dan Stoner

From: Platform Independent Linux List! [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Nessl
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:14 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: CUPS printer aliases?

True, one of the main purposes of classes is to create a pool of printers that are accessed via a single name.

But one of the other properties of printers classes is that a given defined printer can be a member of multiple classes.  Or said another way, several different printer classes can point to the same actual printer.  That's the key to your problem!

Step 1: Add a printer definition for each of your physical printers.
Step 2: For each desired alias, create a printer class whose name is that alias, and whose single member is a printer defined in step 1.

-david