]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LINUX-L Home

LINUX-L  2010

LINUX-L 2010

Re: Google Fiber to the Premises project

Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:34:54 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Bill Merriam wrote:

> Gainesville seems, to me, perfect since we already have extensive
> community owned fiber.  If Google wants to bring in truck loads of money
> and expand that for us it seems like a good deal.
>
> On the other hand perhaps they would be competing with GRU, which would
> be very bad for GRU.

Nonsense.  It would be very good for GRU, in the same way that their
government subsidized internet offerings were good for the local ISPs they
undercut.

> They are asking for local communities to submit RFI's with data about
> why we could be a good choice.  I think a joint submission between
> Gainesville, GRU, UF and Shands would be killer.  Unfortunately the
> deadline is in 5 weeks.

Gainesville is relatively small, centered around a large university, and
currently has few choices for high speed internet access (Cox, AT&T,
GRUcom).  It seems to me, the compactness would minimize the costs of
running fiber around the city.

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |