LINUX-L 2010

Re: ATA over Ethernet

Dan Stoner <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Feb 2010 13:33:24 -0800

text/plain

I don't recall where I saw the information, probably another mailing list (or mailing list archive), but the downside to AoE is that it is a fairly "dumb" protocol... the tradeoff being for speed.  Thus, it has some limitations.

Anecdotally I remember hearing about ATAoE being awful in the event of a lost network packet or some other blip, but I'm fuzzy on the details.

I like iSCSI due to cost and flexibility, and is plenty fast for any workloads I've had to deal with. iSCSI is great to run on commodity hardware, no special switches or HBAs required (assuming you have decent PCIe gigabit NICs).

- Dan Stoner

-----Original Message-----
From: Platform Independent Linux List! [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Benjamin Goldsbury
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:02 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ATA over Ethernet

The lower price of hardware investment for ATAoE compared to Fibre/iSCSI
makes it something we're investigating as a centralized storage
back-end.  However, iSCSI and Fibre Channel seem to have most of the
market, so there's not a lot of good first hand accounts of using ATAoE
around.

Has anyone had any first-hand experience with ATA over Ethernet who can
share some of the joys and pitfalls of it?  And if so, were you using
Coraid equipment, or your own hardware?

--
Benjamin Goldsbury
IT Expert