LINUX-L 2010

Partition Encryption

Matt <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 16 Jan 2010 16:49:11 -0500

text/plain

I was interested in encrypting my dual boot laptop at the partition/disk
level. I first tried Truecrypt but quickly found out it doesn't do this
for the Linux root partition. LUKS seemed like the only reasonable Linux
partition encryption solution, but again, it doesn't seem to address the
root partition.

I ended up using Truecrypt to encrypt the Windows partition with
pre-boot authentication. To boot to Linux, I bypass the Truecrypt
bootloader to GRUB which boots Linux. Then I use a Truecrypt volume file
in Linux.

Is there a better solution?

-Matt-