]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LINUX-L Home

LINUX-L  2010

LINUX-L 2010

Job: Linux-Savvy Software Developer Position Available

John David Eriksen <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:29:50 -0400

text/plain

Hi Folks,

I'm currently working at Conceptual Arts (http://www.c-arts.com). We are a very small but stable and well-established software consulting firm that works primarily on long-term construction and agricultural safety projects. I've been sole developer and system administrator for the past 3.5 years. I would definitely continue to work at Conceptual Arts, but I'll be leaving Gainesville to follow my partner to Salt Lake City so she can finish up her PhD. I was offered the chance to telecommute, but I opted not to mostly because it would be very hard for me to maintain the development server and LAN if anything goes seriously wrong (hardware failure, or Cox-related issues).

I'll be leaving behind several PHP/MySQL applications, some that I've maintained and extended, some that I've coded myself from scratch, and some that I've supervised when we've hired the occasional part-time programmer to help us out with a major deadline. I'm also leaving behind a Debian development server as well as all-Linux production servers, all of them hosted at the http://inmotionhosting.com/, a company with great sysadmins and very responsive support available via phone, chat, and e-mail. All of the projects are written from the perspective of someone that does 99% of their work on the Linux command line. My larger projects use the symfony PHP framework, the Propel ORM framework, and unit testing. I run a hybrid git/svn version control system that I'm looking to migrate completely to git once I find a nice replacement for svn/trac.

I'm looking for a replacement. Ideally, we will work together for two or three months during which we will be finishing up a couple applications and making sure my replacement feels comfortable working with all of our active code bases. After leaving Gainesville I will be available via email and phone with any questions.

I've pasted in the formal job listing below so you can learn a bit more about the specific requirements for the position. Please read over the requirements carefully. Especially the "Minimum Requirements" and "How to Apply" sections.

Feel free to forward this listing to any friends you know that meet the minimum requirements. It's a great job with a very comfortable office, great people, and good location for those living in Gainesville.

Thanks,

-John David

## BEGIN LISTING ##

Title:

Software Developer

Conceptual Arts, Inc. (http://www.c-arts.com) is seeking a software developer to join our team. We are a web-centric software development company located in Gainesville, Florida. Job duties will include designing, testing, implementing, maintaining, and supporting software applications as well as occasionally assisting in the maintenance of a small local area network and locally and remotely hosted servers. Job duties will also include participation in high-level design and decision-making processes, as well as direct interactions with clients.

The tools and languages that will be used include PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS, JavaScript and the jQuery JavaScript library, Flash and ActionScript. The development environment is optimized for developers that have a preference for developing on the Linux command line.

We have a strong preference for applicants that are interested in a long-term commitment to this position.

Minimum Requirements:

* A four-year degree or better in computer science, computer engineering, or in a related programming-intensive technical discipline.

* At least six months of experience working on the Linux command line. Experience building and maintaining Linux servers is highly desired.

* At least one year experience working with web applications written with PHP and MySQL.

* Strong understanding of all aspects of web application development from obtaining requirements, to designing and implementing user interfaces using HTML and CSS, developing database schemata, writing application code, and setting up and maintaining development and production servers.

* References from past employers (preferred) and/or professors.

Desired Requirements:

* Experience working with PHP web frameworks, especially symfony.

* Experience with PHP object-relational mapping tools, especially Propel.

* Experience working with jQuery.

* Coursework in database theory, operating systems, and networking.

How to Apply:

Please send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following information:

1) How you meet the requirements of the position

2) Resume

3) References

4) Salary requirements

5) Your work eligibility status, if you are not a US citizen.

References will be contacted. No phone calls please.

## END LISTING ##