LINUX-L 2010

Re: Samba problems with UFAD

Brian Bartholomew <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 21 Apr 2010 01:55:43 -0400

text/plain

samba is now, for the moment, working slowly.  It's not clear yet how
much of the slow is due to debug logging, and to unrelated extra
backup traffic.  Here are all of the things I touched, and I suspect
some of them may have changed hidden state I'm not aware of.

	/etc/hostname

		changed from krill to krill.stat.ufl.edu and back to krill

	/etc/hosts

		changed "127.0.1.1 krill"
		to "127.0.1.1 krill.stat.ufl.edu krill"

		# 127.0.1.1 is in the file along with 127.0.0.1

		added "128.227.141.9 krill.stat.ufl.edu krill"

	"hostname krill.stat.ufl.edu" and back to "hostname krill"

	have not rebooted at all

Results:

	"hostname --fqdn" now returns krill.stat.ufl.edu instead of krill
	dnsdomainname now returns stat.ufl.edu instead of empty

Changed samba startup script

	from:

		cd /depot/samba-3.3.2
		sbin/nmbd -D
		sbin/smbd -D
		sbin/winbindd

	to:

		cd /depot/samba-3.3.2
		sbin/nmbd -d 1 -D
		sbin/smbd -d 1 -D
		sbin/winbindd -d 10

Variations tried on this with lower debugging info fail with
originally mentioned errors like: krb5_get_credentials failed for
UFDC04$@UFAD (Cannot resolve network address for KDC in requested
realm) / spnego_gen_negTokenTarg failed: Cannot resolve network
address for KDC in requested realm

Also noticed that, with no debugging, if winbind is started several
seconds after nmdb and smbd, that log files log.wb-UFAD
log.winbindd-dc-connect log.winbindd-idmap showing connection and
negotiation with UFAD don't appear.

All of this smells to me like a race condition, perhaps entwined with
dns response.  I'm going to leave it running this way so that people
can get some use out of it in the morning.

							Brian