LINUX-L 2010

Re: samba & veto files

Gabriel Trinity <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 May 2010 16:41:31 -0400

text/plain

Steve,

If the problem is really with the .DS_Store files then you could try the
procedure outlined here to turn them off.
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2005070300463515

I think the issue may lie elsewhere however. What version of Samba are you
using? Take a look at this thread on Apples site.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2139840&start=15&tstart=0

Gabriel Trinity

On 5/4/10 4:14 PM, "Steve Jensen" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I've got a stand alone file server, and our Mac users all connect to it
> with the same username/password.
>
> However, when they try to create a new directory and rename it from
> "untitled folder" they get a permission denied error.  On the file
> system level, the permissions are all proper (755).
>
>  From my googling I understand that it may be an issue wiht the
> .DS_Store files that the Macs create.
>
> I've tried adding a line to my config to veto these
>
> veto files = /.DS_Store
>
> and restarted the samba service but the files are still being created.
>
> In addition to not being able to rename new directories, if they attempt
> to copy an existing directory w/ files in it from their machine to the
> samba server, the directory is made and one file gets copied over, and
> then they receive a permission denied error.
>
> Any ideas?  Moving to separate username/password combos isn't really an
> option.  I'm guessing this is an issue w/ samba and the macs together.
> Can OS X mount a share via ssh like I can from my Linux desktop?
>

> Thanks

Gabriel Trinity
Computing and Information
Technology Support