LINUX-L 2010

Re: samba & veto files

"Chase,Philip B" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 May 2010 15:51:36 -0400

text/plain

Are these, perhaps MacOSx 10.6.3?  We have seen lots of problems with 10.6.3 macs access our Samba servers and Google tells us we are not alone.  We use ACLs to control our file permissions which makes things extra fun. :-)

These are the smb.conf parameters inspired by our 10.6.3 customers:

unix extensions = no

[ShareName]
  force create mode = 0660
  force directory mode = 0770

The group parameters on these last two are largely inspired by our use of group ACLs.  YMMV.

Philip

-----Original Message-----
From: Platform Independent Linux List! [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steve Jensen
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 4:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: samba & veto files

I've got a stand alone file server, and our Mac users all connect to it
with the same username/password.

However, when they try to create a new directory and rename it from
"untitled folder" they get a permission denied error.  On the file
system level, the permissions are all proper (755).

 From my googling I understand that it may be an issue wiht the
.DS_Store files that the Macs create.

I've tried adding a line to my config to veto these

veto files = /.DS_Store

and restarted the samba service but the files are still being created.

In addition to not being able to rename new directories, if they attempt
to copy an existing directory w/ files in it from their machine to the
samba server, the directory is made and one file gets copied over, and
then they receive a permission denied error.

Any ideas?  Moving to separate username/password combos isn't really an
option.  I'm guessing this is an issue w/ samba and the macs together.
Can OS X mount a share via ssh like I can from my Linux desktop?

Thanks

--

---
Steve Jensen