LINUX-L 2010

Re: Fixing bad sectors on disk

"Johnson,Robert E" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 01:23:20 -0500

text/plain

On Jan 19, 2010, at 11:29 PM, "Jon Lewis" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, Johnson,Robert E wrote:
>
>> Not so much a fix as a preventative: in the old days (on other
>> *nixes)
>> it was often recommended that you do something like
>>
>> dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hda bs=128k
>>
>> once a month or so. This would refresh every sector of the drive in
>> an
>> attempt to remap bad sectors while they are still soft errors instead
>> of hard errors, and could be run in the background at low priority.
>> Modern filesystems might optimize this out to doing nothing, though.
>
> I don't see how "modern filesystems" would optimize that out, since
> with
> dd operating on the devices, you're below the filesystem level.

Yeah, good point. I guess I was more tired than I thought.

> Also, that seems like an incredibly dangerous thing to do on a
> device that
> has RW mounted partitions.  What if while reading a portion of /dev/
> hda,
> blocks change (due to filesystem activity) between dd's read and
> write?
> Now you've written old data back to the device and likely corrupted
> the
> filesystem.

Yeah, I guess I should be awake when I try to elaborate. Obviously
you'd want to do it on an unmounted filesystem.

But anyway the prophylactic use of dd is something I've seen
recommended a few times.

I'm going back to sleep now.

Thanks,

-- Bob