LINUX-L 2010

CUPS printer aliases?

Dan Stoner <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:05:42 -0800

text/plain

Hello,

I am migrating an old server with lp printers to a new server with CUPS.

On old server, the /etc/printcap file specified various aliases that could be used for the same printer.  For example:

# first printer
lp|hp3ps|lp0|ps|ps0|ps3|txt3:\

# second printer
lp1|ps1:\

# third printer....

Those aliases are used heavily by various production scripts and commands such as 'enscript' and 'lp'.

On the new server I have confirmed that enscript and lp are able to use a CUPS printer by name such as HP8150DN.

  #  enscript -dHP8150DN test.txt

Does CUPS have a way to alias multiple printer names onto the same printer?

Thanks,

Dan Stoner
IT Senior
Children's Oncology Group