]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

WEB-MANAGERS-L Home

WEB-MANAGERS-L  January 2010

WEB-MANAGERS-L January 2010

Re: Pointers into the Fine Manual for WordPress..

"Allen S. Rout" <[log in to unmask]>

UF Web Managers <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 19 Jan 2010 16:16:02 -0500

text/plain

Wordpress is spaghetticode, interesting changes are fraught and
fragile.  (9 words)

>> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 08:45:46 -0500, someone said:

> I used the following plugin in WPMU to create a custom login screen:
> http://wpmututorials.com/how-to/custom-branded-login-screen-for-wpmu/

[ ... ]

I got several different suggestions, thanks!  But you might want to
lower your ear flaps, I'm in full-on curmudgeon mode.

There are several varieties of plugin to "customize your login
screen", by which the wordpress community _really_ means:

- Move the CSS that affects the login screen from base package to a
  plugin so it survives main WP upgrades

- Change the background image.

This appears to meet most of the WP community's needs, but it chaps
me.  On the registration screen, I only want users interacting with
one field: the openID one.  The prominent and accustomed 'new user /
new password' fields are a distraction from my desired user
experience, and will generate confused questions, some large fraction
of which could be obviated by the fields simply not being present.

So I started digging into the source, and found that I'd need to edit,
not one, but two different php source files in order to approach my
desired behavior.  Most importantly, the user/password fields appear
to be hardcoded.  I commented them out, but left in the earliest <p>
and the lates </p>, because it's evidently the hook on which the
styling CSS is hung.

Then I needed to edit the openid plugin's login.php file, in order to
remove the now contextually wrong " or login using an openid ".

The blurb I _want_ there could be hardcoded in either place, but I
think I'm better off putting it now-branched openid plugin login.php.
That way on a WP-main upgrade I might still get the user/password
screen but I'd also get my blurb: at least a snowball's chance in
traditionally warm places that the user will read.

-----