]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Home

FLORIDABIRDS-L  January 2010, Week 4

FLORIDABIRDS-L January 2010, Week 4

Some birding in St. Pete & FL Scrub-Jays

David Laliberte <[log in to unmask]>

David Laliberte <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 Jan 2010 19:27:45 -0800

text/plain

SUBJECT:  Some birding in St. Pete & FL Scrub-Jays
Hi all:
Last week my friend Peggy Gonder from Colorado was in FL for business & birding.  I know Peggy from Colorado when I Lived & birded there.  She had two days for birding here in St. Pete on the 15th & 16th of January.
Last Friday the areas we birded in St. Pete included:  Tierra Verde/Ft. DeSoto, Gandy Beach, 28th St./118th Av. canal & ponds along in North St. Pete, Freedom Lake Park, Lake Seminole Park, Gulfport, We returned to Ft. D that eve just before sunset as we observed two Caspian Tern, Snowy Plover & Least Sandpiper.
The next day on Saturday we drove down to Oscar Scherer State Park to specifically get Florida Scrub-Jay.  This is probably the most reliable place within an hours travelling distance from St. Pete to find & see FLSJ.
Also we found Eastern Towhee.  That was one that I also expected to be here.  I was hoping for a white-eyed Towhee.  Our bird had an iris that was more brownish.  But this is also interesting as I have heard other Florida birders talk about brownish eye-towhees that are probably intermediate birds.  I did not get any decent pix for this bird to post here.
On the way back to St. Pete  I thought we would try for another chance at a Limpkin Since we missed it yesterday.   I thought we’d try little Little Eli.  This pond is north west of Lake Maggiore.  Shortly after arriving there a Limpkin popped out in to full view.   Thanks for this tip – Ron Smith.
We found all but four of Peggy’s target birds:  The four holdout birds included Sandwich Tern, Monk Parakeet, Sedge Wren, Sharp-tailed Sparrows
We found nine new Lifers in two days for Peggy – not bad.  Peggy’s Tampa Bay birding trip list included:
Peggy’s Tampa Bay birding trip list included:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46665672@N05
We found the following species:
Mallard, Mottled Duck, Blue-winged Teal,MUSCOVY DUCK,Pied-billed Grebe, Brown Pelican, Double-crested Cormorant, Anhinga, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Snowy Egret,Little Blue Heron, Tricolored Heron, Reddish Egret, Cattle Egret,
YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON,White Ibis, Roseate Spoonbill, Wood Stork,  Black Vulture, Turkey Vulture, Osprey, Bald Eagle, American Kestrel, LIMPKIN, American Coot, Common Moorhen, Black-bellied Plover, WILSON’S PLOVER, Semipalmated Plover, SNOWY PLOVERKilldeer, Ruddy Turnstone, Sanderling, Least Sandpiper, Dunlin, SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER, Laughing Gull, Ring-billed Gull, CASPIAN TERN, Royal Tern,Forster's Tern, Black Skimmer, Rock Pigeon, Mourning Dove, Common Ground-Dove, BLACK-HOODED PARAKEET, Belted Kingfisher, Red-bellied Woodpecker ,Loggerhead Shrike, Blue Jay,FLORIDA SCRUB-JAY, Fish Crow, Carolina Wren, House Wren, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Robin, Palm Warbler, Red-winged Blackbird, Northern Cardinal, EASTERN TOWHEE.  61 species.

New birds on Peggy’s Life List is indicated by upper case.
Links for the photos of some of these birds include:
MUSCOVY DUCK
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46665672@N05/4286955652/
Little Blue Heron
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46665672@N05/4286956256/