Re: Drawing finite automata?

Jana Diesner <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 13 Feb 2010 09:37:46 -0500

text/plain

Moses
probabilistic graphical models keep being very popular for natural language
processing tasks that relate to networks.
Andrew McCallum
(http://www.cs.umass.edu/~mccallum/publications-by-date.html) and Edo
Airoldi (http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~airoldi/), among others, have
made great contributions in this area. In the CASOS group, we have been
using probabilistic graphical models for supervised machine learning for
various tasks pertaining to network analysis. For example, George Davis and
Jamie Olson used them to model the trails of movement of objects through
space and time. For the case of text data, we used these models to identify
and classify the nodes of socio-technical networks from text data, where
nodes not only represent the classical set of entities referred to by a name
(people, groups, locations), but also some more theoretically inspired yet
vague and fuzzy entity classes such as "resources", "knowledge", and
"tasks". For details on that see (pg. 7 of that file has an esthetically not
very appealing visualization of such models): Diesner J & Carley K.M.
(2008). Conditional Random Fields for Entity Extraction and Ontological Text
Coding. Journal of Computational and Mathematical Organization Theory, 14,
248 - 262. online:
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/jdiesner/publications/diesner_2008_CMOT_autho
rversion.pdf). That model is available in the AutoMap software for
relational text analysis.

For the realm of text data, we also did some work on testing the impact of
implementation decisions and various parameters settings on the prediction
accuracy of a very simple and basic prob. graphical model that is based on
markov chains, which often are represented as finite state automata (for
that see
Diesner J & Carley KM (2008). Looking under the hood of stochastic part of
speech taggers (Tech Report CMU-ISR-08-131R): Carnegie Mellon Univ.
http://reports-archive.adm.cs.cmu.edu/anon/isr2008/CMU-ISR-08-131R.pdf)

Cheers, Jana