Re: "Permanent" retention

sasha babin <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:44:08 -0800

text/plain

Hi Gordy,

Thank you very much for enlarging of my vocabulary, first of all.

When I read all conversation, I'm thinking about the language, definitions and connotations.
Regarding permanent, I remember larry's comments about another new CD with  1.000.000.years of life span - million or 5 years, what comes first.

I went to online dictionary and found that the word you have been offering somehow answer our records management and archival practices
http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/persistent

determined; continuous and continuing or existing for an indefinite time.

The problem is the connotation and how people will get you:
"You don't know how long we will need it?".
Again, the question in history of the language and its use.
Also, different fields can use the same word but with different meening, and who will decide that the sertain word would be used as main one.

Regards,

Alex Babin
inARchives and Records management field from 1977,
MA in Archives and Records management field from Moscow University for Archival Studies,(MGIAI), according to American evaluation system.
just reader.