LISTSERV Archives

PSYART Home

PSYART  March 2010, Week 1

PSYART March 2010, Week 1

Re: TWILIGHT film

Norm Rosenblood <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion Group for Psychology and the Arts <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 5 Mar 2010 01:55:22 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

 Dianne Hunter's description of the two groups suggests that perhaps
lurking in the Vampire scenario/menace is the outline of a Family Romance
phantasy. If it is there, then one might posit a child's wish to be part
of a destructive family with revenge or rebellion as possible motives.
An Adam's family without the laughs.

Another area not yet discussed is the succubus and the incubus. They share
similarities with the vampire dynamic in that both deplete their hosts.
One is reminded of the paranoid George Scott(or was it Sterling Hayden?)
in Kubrick's 2001 who fears the loss of his "bodily fluids".

It would appear that incorporation --via mouth, eyes, smell and
hearing--is an inherent drive/instinct. The phantasies the drive engenders
find a home in myth and the movies. Pauline Kael said she lost it in the
movies; some recover it. Another dynamic Aristotle missed.

"Drink to me only with thine eyes."

Norm Rosenblood

Norman Rosenblood, Ph.D., Training and Supervising Psychoanalyst
Co-director, Hamilton Centre for Psychoanalysis
8 Mayfair Place
Hamilton, Ontario
L8S 4G1