]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

PSYART Home

PSYART  May 2010, Week 2

PSYART May 2010, Week 2

Re: Fwd: Oedipus said not to have had Oedipus complex

Norm Rosenblood <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion Group for Psychology and the Arts <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 May 2010 00:45:38 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

RE Oedipus
----------

 Nice try! Another abortive run at the Master. What a way to achieve
fame--disprove the oedipus complex and little Hans's pathology to boot!.
It all sounds very oedipal.

I am sure Bowlby would  agree that little Hans also had an
attachment to his "widdler". He (Hans) mentions it often enough,
especially in the context of losing it. I believe Freud called that
castration anxiety, a key concept for oedipal struggles in males and
females. Didn't Hans get cured by his father using Freud's
interpretations?

Oedipus didn't have an oedipus complex that was repressed; he acted it
out. Freud saw a pattern in the drama that repeats itself in human
relationships. The drama of oedipus points to numerous dynamics in all
sorts of interactions: those ruined by success, object choice, impotence,
guilt, promiscuity and many other permutations. As WH Auden said of Freud;
it has become a climate.

I am always wary of Freud- surpassers who don't cite the
STANDARD EDITION. Dr. Harris might do well to consult vol 24, the Index, and
evaluate the relevance of the oedipal struggle to the various problems
Freud cites. Also, to assume that modern analysts would take a Bowlbian
approach to Hans is specualtion at best. Perhaps Freud felt it wiser to
leave that stage of his devel;opment untouched.

Norm Rosenblood

Norman Rosenblood, Ph.D., Training and Supervising Psychoanalyst
Co-director, Hamilton Centre for Psychoanalysis
8 Mayfair Place
Hamilton, Ontario
L8S 4G1