BEST-L June 2010

Cap or tax? Why not both

Jason Evans <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:10:16 -0400

text/plain

Like many concerned about climate change, I've thought, and read, quite a
lot about which policy track should be pursued to reduce carbon emissions:
1) cap and trade; or 2) carbon tax. For whatever reason, an obvious
thought occurred to me this morning: why not both (assuming, for the
moment, that there indeed was sufficient political will to take action)?

I'm sure that there may be more recent or more comprehensive analyses out
there, but what I found on Google was this article by Alan Durning. Just
food for thought...

http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/008055.html

The good news is that with careful policy design, Cap and Tax can be
better than either Cap or Tax. The Tax toughens the Cap, the way steel
rebar strengthens concrete. The bad news is that without careful design,
the two could weaken each other.

-Jason