]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  June 2010

SOCNET June 2010

Re: Clustering ego-centered social networks

Gianluca Miscione <[log in to unmask]>

Gianluca Miscione <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:08:27 +0200

text/plain

Thanks to all

> I hope you will post on the list a survey of the answers you get.

Below you have the suggestions I've collected, I hope it's useful to others as much as it's being for us.

Gianluca

-------------------

see the following approaches to creating triad censuses in egocentric networks and aggregating across different egocentric networks:
·         Burt, R. S. 1990. Detecting role equivalence. Social Networks 12, 83-97
·         Kalish, Y., & Robins, G. L. (2006). Psychological predispositions and network structure: The relationship between individual predispositions, structural holes and network closure. Social Networks, 28(1), 56-84.

Specifically, Kalish and Robins use PCA on the triad census to drive individual scores, which are then used in further analyses.

------------------

"Identifying organizational faultlines with latent class cluster analysis" (Lawrence & Zyphur, accepted at Organizational Research Methods), that uses latent class cluster analysis to create mutually-exclusive classes of ego networks.

------------------

a study with similar goals but not with the [same] methodology, you may ask to Petr Matous ([log in to unmask]) who kindly send a draft paper of his

------------------

Gianluca,

> I have a question: do you have references to research works that created profiles by clustering similar social networks?

Alina Stoica and i work precisely on this subject.  She computes, for each ego u, a set of values counting the number of occurrences of so-called patterns among u's egocentered network.  Then she does a clustering relying on these sets of values.

We do that on several (very large) datasets.

The basic pattern-counting method is described there with some results on a mobile phone dataset:

Structure of Neighborhoods in a Large Social Network, IEEE International Conference on Social Computing (SocialCom-09), 2009.
http://liafa.jussieu.fr/~prieur/Publis/stoica-prieur-neighborhoods-socialcomp-2009.pdf

Alina has applied the method on a Myspace sample and presented it in last month's ICWSM and we are carrying on further following the data-mining track for the mobile phone dataset.

I hope you will post on the list a survey of the answers you get.

_
  Christophe Prieur,                                               [log in to unmask]
  Liafa, Université Paris-Diderot             http://liafa.jussieu.fr/~prieur/
  [user experience research, social networks, (large) graph algorithms]