Skip repetitive navigational links

# and % of no-shows & same-day cancellations?

Suzanne Robertshaw <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 Jun 2010 15:00:01 -0400

Hi folks

I'm wondering what your statistics are for no-shows and same-day cancellations for your tutoring programs.

In my annual report, I'm talking about the number of no-shows and same-day cancellations we have in our appointment-based tutoring program and writing center.  The data shows that we average about 10% of out total number of appointments made end up being no-shows or same-day cancellations.  We've seen very slight reductions in the last three years, but nothing statistically significant.

We gave a presentation at the Orlando ATP conference on this topic, and everyone in the audience said it was a big problem in their programs.

Just wondering what your statistics are?

Here's a draft of what I'm putting in my report, but I plan to revise it...  (I'm not including here some bar graphs made from the data...)

Student Attendance of Sessions: Policies, Problems and Potential Solutions:
Of the no-shows this year, 120 of the 187 total only no-showed one time.  23 students went on to no-show more often (14, 2x; 6, 3x; 3, 4x).
 Question: Would earlier intervention (emails, telephone calls) have prevented those 23 from no-showing again, and wreaking more havoc?
Question: How else can we publicize the policy so that we don’t have 120 students no-showing in the first place?
Question: Are the students who no-show different from the students who same-day cancel?  Or do some students do both?
No-shows (n/s) and late cancellations plague learning centers all over the U.S.  Until 2006, we allowed students to same-day cancel (sdc) up to the appointment time, thinking that tutors and consultants would rather know that their client would not be coming than to wait 10 or 15 minutes for a no-show.  So for 07-08, we created a tracking category for n/s and sdc sessions.  Either category of non-attendance have the same effect on the availability of appointments for other students: if a student doesn’t show up, that hour slot is not available for any other students who might really need to see that tutor or consultant.
 How do n/s and sdc affect availability of learning assistance for the student body?   This year, about 10% of our sessions, almost 500 appointment slots, were not attended—and were not available for other students to book.  (In order to promote planning ahead, and to give our peer educators some advance warning of their scheduled appointments, we do not allow students to make appointments online the day of.)
How do they affect our budget?  Our tutors and writing consultants are only paid for time spent with students; if no one has booked an appointment, the tutors/consultants do not come in and we do not need to pay them.  With no-shows it is a different story. Tutors and consultants are paid for 15 minutes for a no-show  (this year about $250 total.)  They wait five minutes, call the student and either a) urge him/her to come over to Mills, or b) leave a message outlining the penalties for missing an app’t.; then they notify the receptionist who codes the session appropriately.  That is money spent without any learning assistance being given.  We do not pay for same-day cancellations, because TutorTrac requires students to call the front desk, and the receptionists then tell the tutors/consultants by phone that their clients have cancelled, and they do not need to come in for that session.
How do they affect tutor/consultant morale?  Some writing consultants and tutors had 15 sessions that did not happen.  For same-day cancellations, at least they do not have to come into work.  For no-shows, they have to stick around for 10-15 minutes and play the heavy on the phone with the offending student (but it IS a teachable moment!).  They feel angry and frustrated, esp. if they know other students wanted to see them.
We have had  the following policies (and penalties) in place since fall 2007. They are widely publicized, in TutorTrac, in reminder emails, and in the center.
                       No-shows and same-day cancellations are carefully tracked at TJ's.
         BE AWARE of the Writing Center and Tutoring Program's no-show/same-day cancellation policy.
         1 (2 )no-show(s) and/or same-day cancellation(s) = warning email from TJ's.
         2 (3) no-shows and/or same-day cancellations = banned from TutorTrac until you meet with the center coordinator.
         3 (4) no-shows and/or same-day cancellations = banned from TutorTrac for one month.
         4 (5) no-shows and/or same-day cancellations = banned from TutorTrac for the balance of the semester.
 In red are the proposed changes for next year.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for any feedback from your center's data.

Susie

Suzanne Robertshaw, Tutoring and Writing Coordinator
Johnson Student Resource Center (TJ's)
Rollins College   1000 Holt Ave. 2613
Winter Park, FL  32789   USA
(office) 407 646-2652   (fax) 407 646-2245
http://www.rollins.edu/tpj/tutoring  (tutoring program information)
http://www.rollins.edu/wc (Writing Center information)
"Share your knowledge.  It's a way to achieve immortality." ~the Dalai Lama
"Listen or thy tongue will keep thee deaf." ~Native American Indian proverb
"Good writing is clear thinking made visible." Bill Wheeler

December 2020
November 2020
October 2020
September 2020