]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  July 2010

SOCNET July 2010

Wolfram Mathematica for SN data analysis

Renato Matheus <[log in to unmask]>

Renato Matheus <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 10:13:51 -0700

text/plain

Dear list members,

I attended a commercial presentation of Wolfram Mathematica (WM) software. It
impressed me very much.

I'd like to know your opinion (Does it deserve attention as I guess now?), as
well as suggestions, examples and papers, about the possible use WM in the
analysis of SN data. Such software has a graph package, a data library and
functionalities for statistical and interactive data analysis and visualization.

Nevertheless, I couldn't find many papers from social network area that mention
it.

I've done an initial search. I far as I know there is no reference to WM in
Linton Freeman, and Mak Huisman and Marijtje Duijn's chapters (in Models and
Methods in SNA book). INSNA website old software list does not mention it also.
My search ("social network" "Wolfram mathematica") in Google Schoolar returned
just 1 paper, and in Google Web returned mainly commercial links from Wolfram.
There is no relevant reference in SOCNET list archive. Finally, I've found only
2 real citations in Social Networks journal (John P. Boyda and William J.
Fitzgeraldb et al. deal with core/periphery structure).

Is that all?

Currently, I adopt UCINET. I'm testing WM functionalities for SNA in my academic

project.

For those that eventually don't know WM, there are some [graphical]
demonstrations in:
http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/search.html?query=social+network.

Thanks for your help,

Renato Fabiano http://www.rfmatheus.com.br