Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: How many involved in Summer Experiences!

Jennifer Atwood <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:31:39 -0500

text/plain

Yolanda,
Our college supports a large number of "summer bridge" programs meant to
prepare students transitioning from High School to college. As I
understand it, many but not all of them are directed at preparing
underprepared students who would otherwise require remediation. Some
specifically target placement test preparation while others offer
intensive reviews of content knowledge and a few focus on fast-tracked
credit-bearing opportunities, etc. These are primarily handled by our
Outreach Dept. and High School Services Dept. (Our college is a bit of a
special case, as we support 6 Early College High Schools, a huge dual
enrollment population, and have a very active program for outreach and
partnership with area high schools.)

Our learning center (CLE) does not offer any formal summer programs,
such as non-course based programs, but we often participate in the
summer bridge programs by hosting mini-orientations to let the students
know about our tutorial services both during their summer work and for
their future coursework needs.  Our staff (full-time staff and part-time
tutors) have also helped give trainings for placement test preparation
in cooperation with the organizing entity, whether it be the departments
named above or in some cases independent grant-funded groups.

In some cases this has turned out to benefit us as well, since it has
enabled us to cultivate a group of tutors who are trained to assist with
placement test preparation, who we can then use to offer workshops on
the subject throughout the year to our traditional student population.

Jennifer Atwood Knecht
Interim Director - Centers for Learning Excellence
South Texas College  (956) 872-6445
McAllen, TX

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailt