]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Home

FLORIDABIRDS-L  August 2010, Week 1

FLORIDABIRDS-L August 2010, Week 1

Dinner Island Ranch WMA & Palm Beach Sod Farms Results

Vincent P Lucas <[log in to unmask]>

Vincent P Lucas <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 Aug 2010 16:53:04 -0400

text/plain

Yesterday, July 31, 2010, Pete Thayer and I birded Dinner Island Ranch
WMA in Hendry County and the Palm beach County sod farms south of
South bay and Belle Glade. We left Naples at about 5:45AM and arrived
at Dinner Island Ranch shortly after sunrise. On our way out CR846,
east of Immokalee, just over the Collier County/Hendry County line, we
had a Black-bellied Whistling-Duck flyby. Further east on CR846 before
the junction of CR833, he had three different Snail Kites and 8-10
Limpkins in various places. In one small wetland field alone, there
were six Limpkins all feeding communally. Dinner Island Ranch was
great as usual. We saw many of the expected waders but the highlights
had to be the three King Rails that came out of the wetland pass the
hunter's check-in kiosk and which walked in front of us on the road,
not twenty feet from where we stood. Thanks to Don MacKrell for some
pointers on where to find these birds at dinner island Ranch. There
were many Eastern Meadowlarks, mostly juveniles, everywhere. Northern
Bobwhites were calling as were Sandhill Cranes. An unexpected Barred
owl in a distant tree was a nice find. Red-shouldered Hawks and at
least one Belted Kingfisher and several Green Herons all stood
sentinel on the various powerlines. Crested Caracara were present as
usual, too. White-tailed Deer were fairly common as well. A pair of
Black-bellied Whistling Ducks was also nice to see. We next went north
to Clewiston and easily found the Common Mynas at the Burger King on
route 80. At the Walmart in town, numerous Barn Swallows were hawing
insects in and around the box store. On the way out, a family of four
Gray Kingbirds were perched on the telephone line as we exited back to
route 80.

Along the Miami Canal, we found two Barn Owls in the champion Red
Cedars but the views of these birds were fleeting. Many swallows,
mostly Barns (ubiquitous everywhere we went throughout the day) and
some Cliff swallows, were sitting on the powerlines along the canal or
hawking insects. Try as we might, we could not find one Bank Swallow
at this site nor anywhere else all day long. Note: there were
literally thousands of Wandering Gliders (Globe Skimmers) everywhere
we went. Some of the swarms in in the high hundreds for sure.
Migration for that Odonate, at least, is in full swing south of Lake
Okeechobee. A pair of Eastern Kingbirds was present as was an
unidentified "yellowish" warbler that did not give us satisfactory
looks.

We next tried to find suitable habitat i.e. sod farms along US Rte. 27
south of he microwave tower south of Okeelanta Sugar Refinery and
found the former sod fields but it seems this year, sugarcane is a
much more profitable crop to grow. Pete speculated that with the bust
in the building economy in places like Ft. Myers and naples, there
isn't as much as a demand for sod so farmers are utilizing the land to
grow more sugarcane. Good theory. We did find some sod fields along US
Rte. 27 namely at the King Ranch  and a few other properties. However,
none of them held any water, not even a puddle, so the only shorebirds
we could find there were Killdeer. On the other hand, we did find some
fields that had been freshly flooded (to combat nematodes) and in
these fields along US Rte. 27, we did find many Black-necked Stilts,
Lesser Yellowlegs, a few Pectoral Sandpipers and Least Sandpipers.
Several Black Terns made a pass through the flooded field as well.

Our best birding this day would come as we made our way to Browns Farm
Road at Six Mile Bend. In another plowed field we had hundreds of
Glossy Ibis, well over 25 Gull-billed Terns, 15 or so Least Terns, 3
Caspian Terns, a few Forsters Terns and a half-dozen or so Black
Terns. There were 22 Roseate Spoonbills feeding together as well as
hundreds of the usual waders including many Wood Storks. Shorebirds
included on Spotted Sandpiper, both yellowlegs, many Least Sandpipers,
one Black-bellied Plover, many Pectoral Sandpipers, hundreds of Black-
necked Stilts, Killdeer and one American Avocet still in breeding
plumage. There were several dozen Laughing Gulls in various stages of
molt plus one lone Black Skimmer.

A few Belted Kingfishers were also seen somewhere during the day but I
did not take note of where since I saw my FOTS a couple of weeks ago
at STA-5.

Further afield, we made our way over to Gladeview Rd (former Roth Sod
Farm property) further east off of CR-880. Here we hit the  mother
lode of flooded fields/muck fields. The number of Glossy Ibis and
other waders was astonishing. Best birds here were five more American
Avocets along with more of the various tern species and shorebirds.
Many, many Common Nighthawks were flying everywhere but the most
interesting behaviors observed were one CONI plucking some sort of
insect out of the water along the canal/ditch that parallels this
road. No, it was not "drinking" water. Lots of other CONIs were
sitting on little mounds of the black loam in the flooded field. If
you didn't know to look at these mounds, one would never see them as
they blend in very well. There were hundreds of Laughing Gulls, many
of them juveniles, in various plumages too.

We didn't have any of the better shorebirds (other than perhaps the
American Avocets) but it was a great day anyway. Those pesky
dowitchers out there avoided certain identification because they were
too distant and the heat shimmer didn't allow for close scrutiny. If i
had to guess, i'd say most if not all were Short-billed dowitchers due
to their coloration and "jizz". We counted well over 300 Fulvous
Whistling Ducks at this location. One set of parents was chaperoning
over thirty ducklings in a line. Too cute. The only other ducks here
were Mottled Ducks. Did I mention that it was wicked hot out there?
I'll definitely be back though in the coming weeks, perhaps hooking up
with TAS on their fieldtrip on August 28th.

Lastly, we went back to Naples via Snake Rd./Government Rd/CR 833 or
whatever this road is properly called via I-75 (Alligator Alley). We
looked in vain for the White-tailed Kite that Paul Bithorn reported
from this location a week ago but could not find it. He had to settle
for a consolation prize of Swallow-tailed Kite instead. Such a
graceful bird.

Good birding to all.

Vincent Lucas
Naples, FL