]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

PSYART Home

PSYART  August 2010, Week 2

PSYART August 2010, Week 2

Re: OFF LIST: that quest for "plain truth," unadorned

"Kardaun M (LK)" <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion Group for Psychology and the Arts <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 7 Aug 2010 18:51:20 +0200

text/plain

Hi Larry, now for Freud about women: “Das Weib anerkannt die Tatsache seiner Kastration und damit auch die Ueberlegenheit des Mannes und seine eigene Minderwertigheit, aber es straeubt sich auch gegen diesen unliebsamen Sachverhalt.” (“The female [I cannot even translate ‘Weib’ into English: in modern German the word 'Weib' has a very negative connotation] acknowledges the fact of her castration, and with it also the superiority of the man and her own inferiority, but she rebels against this unwelcome state of affairs.] Etc. etc. I am too lazy to quote more. The title is _Ueber die weibliche Sexualitaet_, Gesammelte Werke XIV. It is from the years 1925-1931. In English the paper may be called something like _On Female Sexuality”. I am sure you have it at home.

If anyone would claim anything of this kind and/or use this kind of language nowadays he would certainly make a complete fool of himself. (If you don't believe me, have a try with some of your female acquaintances: you are very likely to get punched in the nose.) But so what? In a text from nearly a century ago, what do you expect? I don't mind for a second. Freud is great, and so is Jung.

Maria

Dr. M.S.J.M. Röell-Kardaun
Maastricht University
Faculty of Arts and Social Studies