GRADSTUDENT-L  2011

GRADSTUDENT-L 2011

Call for UF I-Cubed GSAC Applicants

Fri, 9 Sep 2011 14:47:55 +0000

text/plain

ANNOUNCEMENT

Date: 9 September 2011

To: All UF Graduate Students, Coordinators and Staff

From: The UF Graduate School

RE: Call for UF I-Cubed GSAC Applicants

The UF I-Cubed Graduate Student Advisory Council (GSAC) is seeking interested graduate students from science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) and social, behavioral and economic (SBE) disciplines to join GSAC and become a driving force of the I-Cubed Program in shaping graduate education at the University of Florida.

The UF Innovation through Institutional Integration (I-Cubed) Program, funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), is developing an integrative and interdisciplinary program that augments the preparation of UF students to have a truly competitive edge.  This is done through an extended focus on professionally-oriented training programs designed to enhance each individual student's career opportunities.

The Graduate Student Advisory Council was created in 2009 within the I-Cubed Program to work as a team in collaboration with the Internal (Faculty) Advisory Board and I-Cubed management team (1) to identify missing elements in graduate student training at UF, (2) to improve graduate professional development, and (3) to integrate with and expand some of the existing programs on campus.

What do we expect?

1. Represent ideas and concerns pertinent to the professional development of graduate students at UF.

2. Represent GSAC in I-Cubed sponsored activities such as NSF Research Day, Career Summit, etc.

3. Attend GSAC meetings at least once a month or when possible (GSAC holds two meetings monthly).

4. Disseminate information about I-Cubed sponsored activities to other students and colleagues.

What is our current profile?

1. GSAC is currently composed of 15 active student-members from Biology, HP Rehabilitation Science, Health Education and Behavior, Mechanical and Aero-space Engineering, Environmental Engineering Sciences, Geography, Anthropology, School of Forrest Resources and Conservation, and Biomedical Sciences.

2. GSAC represents a broad participation of minority students, women, and students with disabilities.

3. GSAC has members who are funded through various NSF training grants at UF.

What do we offer?

1. Professional development through active communication with peers, UF administrators and Department/College key-decision makers.

2. Providing ideas for NSF Research Day and other professional development opportunities for graduate students in STEM and SBE disciplines

3. Regular meetings with President Machen

If you are interested in joining GSAC and contribute to the transformation of graduate education at UF, please visit our website and complete the application form available at:

http://i3.institutes.ufl.edu/call-for-gsac-members

Thank you!