]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

GRADSTUDENT-L Home

GRADSTUDENT-L  2011

GRADSTUDENT-L 2011

October 10: Deadline for UF FSSS Conference Abstracts

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 15:20:27 +0000

text/plain

The UF Florida Society of Social Sciences (FSSS) invites you to present your research at our 7th Annual Conference of the Social Sciences, to be held Saturday, October 22, 2011 here at the University of Florida.

For those who are interested in presenting papers or posters, please submit your abstracts by Monday, October 10, 2011.

To submit an abstract and learn more about the conference, please visit our website...

http://floridasocialsciences.wordpress.com

...or e-mail Ginger Jacobson at:

The Conference of the Social Sciences is an interdisciplinary conference that provides graduate students from diverse fields of the social sciences the opportunity to showcase their research in a friendly and professional environment, as well as to network with other social science students/researchers on campus.

In previous years, presentations have covered a broad variety of topics, including culture, governance, linguistics, race, crime, LGBT, families, marriage, immigration, and health. Presenters have come from a wide array of departments, including the departments of Sociology and Criminology & Law, Urban and Regional Planning, Anthropology, Journalism and Communications, Occupational Therapy, Spanish and Portuguese Studies, History and Psychology.

This year's theme is "Crossing Boundaries," thus we're pleased to announce Dr. Stephen Perz as our keynote speaker. Dr. Perz crosses disciplinary as well as organizational and national boundaries in order to pursue environmental science as well as management. He has received NSF and USAID funding to work on the manifold social and ecological impacts of the Inter-Oceanic in the southwestern Amazon where Bolivia, Brazil and Peru meet. This work involves formulation of interdisciplinary analytical frameworks, collaboration with universities as well as non-governmental organizations and governmental agencies, and work in very different political environments in different countries. His talk will discuss his experiences in the southwestern Amazon and highlight the torrent of crises and opportunities involved in crossing boundaries in environmental science and management.