]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

GRADSTUDENT-L Home

GRADSTUDENT-L  2011

GRADSTUDENT-L 2011

UF Career Resource Center "Careers in Academia" Workshops

Tue, 4 Oct 2011 12:47:58 +0000

text/plain

ANNOUNCMENT

Date:  October 4, 2011

To:    All UF Graduate Students, Coordinators and Staff

From:  UF Career Resource Center

RE:    Careers in Academia Workshops

The number of jobs in higher education continues to grow, regardless of the trend in all jobs for the U.S. economy (HigherEdJobs, 2011).

The UF Career Resource Center has created several workshops to help Masters and PhD students locate these jobs, learn how to apply and interview for them. If you are interested in working in academia, be sure to attend its "So You Want to Work in Academia..." workshop series:

The Academic Job Search
October 6 at 4 p.m.
It can be difficult to begin your job search and navigate the complicated academic landscape.
Let us provide you with solutions to help simply this process.

The Academic Curriculum Vitae (CV) & Cover Letter
October 13, 2011 at 4 p.m.
This workshop will cover techniques, formatting and strategies for writing your CV and Cover Letter specifically for academic positions.

Voices from Academia: Career Panel & Networking
October 18, 2011 at 5:15 p.m.
Co-sponsored by I-Cubed, this unique session allows student to learn from current and diverse faculty across multiple institutions.
This year's panelists include academics in food & resource economics, material science and engineering, evolutionary ecology, and economics.
Their CVs can be found here:
http://www.crc.ufl.edu/assets/files/guides/Fall2011AcademicCareerPanel.pdf

The Academic Interview
October 20, 2011 at 4 p.m.
Unique to higher education is the academic interview;
this session will focus on interviewing strategy and techniques to survive the academic interview.

Developing a Teaching/Research Statement
October 27, 2011 at 4 p.m.
Teaching/research statements and academic portfolios add depth to your CV and your application.
We'll review strategies for both and provide you with resources to complete your own.

All workshops are held in the Career Resource Center located on the 1st floor of the Reitz Union. If you can't attend, you can view additional resources and videos of some past panels on our website:

www.crc.ufl.edu/grad

For further information, log in to Gator CareerLink at www.crc.ufl.edu, click on "Events" and select "Workshops."

We hope to see you there.