update on climate network project

Jeffrey Broadbent <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 Jan 2011 16:54:03 -0600

text/plain

Dear Network list Colleagues

For Your Information:
The project Compon-Comparing Climate Change Policy Networks-will be
presenting a panel at the upcoming AAAS meetings (Feb 17-21, 2011, DC).
Webpage of Compon panel at AAAS annual meetings, Feb 18th, 2011:
http://aaas.confex.com/aaas/2011/webprogram/Session2917.html

Below is a "lay summary" of the project for distribution to the AAAS press
and audience.  I would much appreciate any feedback about the adequacy of
the design of the project and of the write up.  The project is open to new
participants as noted in the summary.
Further information about the Compon project is available at www.compon.org
Yours,
Jeff Broadbent
Department of Sociology
University of Minnesota, USA

Description of Compon project @ 1-11-11
By Jeffrey Broadbent (PI)
According to the dominant scientific consensus, global climate change (GCC)
threatens all nations of the world with increasing risk of severe disasters.
Reducing these risks requires the rapid decline (mitigation) of greenhouse
gas (GHG) concentrations in the global atmosphere.  Absent the perfect cheap
non-polluting energy source, this mitigation can only be accomplished by
stopping the sources (most prominently the burning of fossil fuels) that
produce GHGs and protecting the sinks (such as forests) that absorb them.
But since fossil fuels constitute the energy basis of contemporary
civilization, in practical terms, their removal will require profound social
redesign--severe changes in most forms of production, consumption and
distribution in numerous nations and at a global scale. Such changes will
gore many oxen, raising many points of resistance.  While the vast majority
of experts identify the major causes of GCC as human-induced, reactions by
nations have ranged from acceptance and a degree of action to denial and
inertia.  Some nations have made a little progress in reducing or
stabilizing their GHG outputs, while others have steadily increased.
Overall, global atmospheric GHG concentrations are rising following the
"worst case" projections.
This global situation constitutes a "natural experiment" to answer the
following questions: Why, in the face of high risk predicted by the vast
majority of credible experts, has the world done so little to avert the
risk?  Why have international agreements been so weak?  The answer, it has
become apparent, lies not in our failure to find the right international
policy mechanisms (rules and institutions).  More deeply, the answer lies in
the reactions of nations.  Why have nations reacted more or less effectively
to the call for mitigation?  How have their reactions affected the
possibilities for international agreements?  And how, in the coming decades,
will intensifying climate disasters impact these national and international
processes? Regardless of one's stance on anthropogenic GCC, it is undeniable
that these momentous questions will sway our world for a long time to come
-- and are a worthy subject of objective research.
The on-going international research project--Comparing Climate Change Policy
Networks (Compon, PI Jeffrey Broadbent) -- is designed to address these
questions, with its current focus on the first two.  The project has
academic research teams at the level of international negotiations and in
over 15 significant or exemplary national or area cases: US, China, India,
Brazil, Sweden, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Mexico, Germany, United Kingdom,
Austria, Greece, Canada, New Zealand (NSF and otherwise funded), with others
in formation (Australia, Ireland, Portugal).  Another group (CIFOR) is using
our method to investigate climate-related forestry protection (REDD) in
Bolivia, Brazil, Indonesia, and the Cameroons.  These cases vary in factors
hypothesized to cause variation in national mitigation reactions, policies
and outcomes (and consequently, in international stances).  Comparative
analysis of these different cases will indicate the causal factors causing
the cross-case variation.  The hypothesized factors include: egalitarian
stakeholder participation, culture of science and authority, demand profiles
of strong interest groups, opportunities offered by political institutions,
role of scientists as mediators, and network patterns of coalitions.  Other
factors include geophysical vulnerability, fossil fuel dependency, levels of
development and prosperity.
In each case, the teams use identical methods to collect three types of
data: media content analysis (newspapers and legislative reports); in-depth
interviews; and quantitative network survey of (50 to 100) organizations
engaged in mitigation issue (governmental and public).  The data covers both
discourse (idea, stances, rationales) and action (coalitions, lobbying,
movements, policy-engagement) in climate change politics.  The analysis of
networks among organizations and ideas, including flows of scientific
information, political advice, trust, collaboration, and perceived
influence, greatly enhances the capacity to compare case reactions and test
hypotheses.  The AAAS panel papers will present analyses of the media data,
as that has been collected during the first stage of this on-going project.

To explain in a bit more detail, the causal hypotheses derive from both
theory and observation.  Theories of societal/political power, for instance,
differ in their evaluation of the relative effectiveness of conflictual
versus persuasive tactics by change agents.  The latter indicates that "The
more the political system provides venues for broadly representative and
egalitarian stakeholder participation, the more the nation will mitigate
CC."  In contrast, a conflict-oriented hypothesis argues, "The more that
national interest groups defend fossil fuel consumption, the less the nation
will mitigate CC."  Bringing in cultural theory, a resultant hypothesis
states that "The more implicit the cultural acceptance of a
rational-scientific worldview, the more the nation will mitigate CC."
Combining cultural and persuasion theory yields "The more centrality CC
scientists have in policy communications networks, the more the nation will
mitigate CC."  A paper by the PI describes 11 hypotheses in detail
(available from author).
The Compon project is modular; new national cases are always welcome.  The
plan is to repeat the data collection at 5 year intervals in order to
provide time-series data to study the third question--how will intensifying
climate disasters affect national and international efforts at mitigation?
This data base will become open for use by scholars around the world,
administered by national training, research and teaching centers on the
social science of climate change.  For further information, please visit the
project website at www.compon.org