Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: File Classification Index
From: Madeleine Manoukian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 28 Mar 2011 17:51:39 -0700

 Hello everyone,

I am in the process of reviewing my company&#39;s file classification index, in preparation for implementing an electronic records management system. We have a functional alpha numeric index. The question that was posed to me was, why do we need a file classification structure? Why not rely on metadata and google type searches to find records? My answer was, to have a uniform file classification structure, for retention/disposition reasons, as well as access controls, and to facilitate search and retrieval.

My questions to the listserv are:

Has anyone done away with their file classification index when implementing an electronic records management system, and relied on metadata alone?

What are the benefits of a file classification system in today&#39;s electronic environment?

I would appreciate any advice or knowing your experiences in this area.

Madeleine Manoukian