LISTSERV Archives

PSYART Home

PSYART  March 2011, Week 3

PSYART March 2011, Week 3

Re: Symbolism and id-interpretation

William Conger <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion Group for Psychology and the Arts <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 20 Mar 2011 20:47:43 -0700

text/plain

Larry;
Re symbols:  What symbol exceeds language?  What illustration (of difficult
ideas) exceeds language?  I have trouble thinking of anything that exceeds
language recognizing at the same time that no amount of language can fully
exhaust an evolving string of continually associative images and emotions, at
least at a conscious level.  I'm wondering if it's possible to separate language
from symbol or language from image or even to say one precedes the other.  V.S.
Ramachandran points to the angular gyrus (one in each hemisphere)  that may
enable visual and language metaphors and that "...visual symbols (may) tap into
the same circuitry of the brain that mediates language (The Tell Tail Brain,
2011).
William Conger