]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  April 2011

SOCNET April 2011

Re: Network Regression of centrality measures vs. actual transmission of information

Luca Rossi <[log in to unmask]>

Luca Rossi <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 13 Apr 2011 08:43:34 +0200

text/plain

Dear Thomas,

we did some work on a very similar topic. We described centrality
measures within the Friendfeed social network and then we described
how actual conversations were happening within that SNS (please note
that in FF conversations may happen also among users not connected so
conversations flows do not necessarily use existing connections). Our
work is still unpublished but if you might be interested I could send
you a draft version.
Otherwise if you're interested in the raw data in our website you can
download a whole dataset of Friendfeed data and users
(http://larica.uniurb.it/sigsna/data/)

Hope it helps

Luca

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Allison Hopkins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I carried out some research recently that is relevant to your post. In my
> study I was interested in using regression and centrality measures along
> with a measure of knowledge to better understanding medicinal plant remedy
> knowledge transmission in a rural community in Mexico. The method is
> detailed in my paper titled “Use of network centrality measures to explain
> individual levels of herbal remedy cultural competence among the Yucatec
> Maya in Tabi, Mexico” coming out very soon in Field Methods. See the
> abstract below for more information.
>
> My findings were that in-degree correlated with the competence scores (a
> measure of knowledge) with an r of 0.28, p<.01. When I ran the regression
> and included attribute variables, such as age and gender, along with
> centrality measures, such as in-degree and betweenness, the model explained
> 26% of the variation in knowledge scores. Interestingly, age trumped all
> other variables, including the network variables in its explanatory power.
> After doing some further analysis to explain this finding I determined that
> age and in degree are positively associated (r = .48, p < .01), which
> suggests that, as generally expected, the trend in Tabi is that older people
> are both the most knowledgeable and the most centrally located in the
> network.
>

> Abstract for Field Methods paper
>
> Common herbal remedy knowledge varies and is transmitted among individuals
> who are connected through a social network. Thus, social relationships have
> the potential to account for some of the variation in knowledge. Cultural
> consensus analysis (CCA) and social network analysis (SNA) were used
> together to study the association between intracultural variation in
> botanical remedy knowledge and social relationships in Tabi, Yucatan,
> Mexico. CCA, a theory of culture as agreement, was used to assess the
> competence of individuals in a domain of herbal remedies by measuring
> individual competence scores within that domain. There was a weak but
> positive association between these competence scores and network centrality
> scores. This association disappeared when age was included in the model.
> People in Tabi, who have higher competence in herbal remedies tend to be
> older and more centrally located in the herbal remedy inquiry network. The
> larger implication of the application of CCA and SNA for understanding the
> acquisition and transmission of cultural knowledge is also explored.
>

> For more information about the study see chapter 5 of my dissertation
> available at: http://etd.fcla.edu/UF/UFE0041175/hopkins_a.pdf
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Allison Hopkins, PhD
>

> ________________________________
> Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:49:22 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [SOCNET] Network Regression of centrality measures vs. actual
> transmission of information
> [...]

Luca Rossi
LaRiCA - Advanced Communication Laboratory
Faculty of Sociology - "Carlo Bo" University, Urbino
T. +39 0722 305726 F. +39 0722 305727
http://larica.uniurb.it/sigsna
http://larica.uniurb.it/redline