]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  April 2011

SOCNET April 2011

Re: Fwd: FW: Your favorite network mapping tool? Try NodeXL!

Martin Bliemel <[log in to unmask]>

Martin Bliemel <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 Apr 2011 10:37:54 +1000

text/plain

Pardon the late 2 cents. I only check my mailing list emails from time to time.

I just took on a PhD student for whom I prepared this list of sources:

*Programs:*
- RSiena:
    o http://stat.gamma.rug.nl/siena.html
    o http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~snijders/siena/siena_r.htm
    o http://www.drewconway.com/zia/?p=1221
    o http://www.drewconway.com/zia/?p=1485
    o Butts CT (2008). Social Network Analysis with sna. Journal of Statistical Software, 24(6). http://www.jstatsoft.org/v24/i06/
    o http://merlin.fae.ua.es/vanderleij/socialnetworks_0809/index.htm
    o http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1894190/basic-sna-in-r-how-to-load-network-data/1897837
- NetworkX http://networkx.lanl.gov/
- ORA http://www.casos.cs.cmu.edu/projects/ora/software.php
- UCINet http://www.analytictech.com/ucinet/
- Pajek http://pajek.imfm.si/doku.php?id=download
    o excel2pajek http://vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/pub/networks/pajek/howto/excel2Pajek.htm
- SoNIA http://www.stanford.edu/group/sonia/
- Gephi (visualization): http://gephi.org.
    o Watch an introduction in video here: http://vimeo.com/9726202
    o A quick start tutorial is available here: http://gephi.org/2010/quick-start-tutorial/
    o You can test it with some datasets like the structure of the Internet made by Mark Newman in 2006: http://gephi.org/datasets/internet_routers-22july06.gml.zip.
    o Other datasets are available here: http://wiki.gephi.org/index.php?title=Datasets
- Visone
    o http://www.visone.info/
    o http://www.inf.uni-konstanz.de/algo/visone/visone_sonia.avi
- NodeXL
    o http://casci.umd.edu/NodeXL_Teaching
- AutoMap
    o http://www.casos.cs.cmu.edu/projects/automap/

*Datasets:*
- http://snap.stanford.edu/
- http://wp.me/poFcY-x8
- http://socialnetworks.mpi-sws.org/

*Misc:*
- Socnet twitteres http://twitter.com/valdiskrebs/network-analysis/members

Aside:
For NodeXL, I find it helps to separate the data collection spreadsheet from the analysis, and copy and paste (values) when ready for analysis:
http://cie-unsw.blogspot.com/2011/03/mapping-sydneys-innovation-system-pet.html

Best regards,
Martin

Dr. Martin J. Bliemel
Lecturer; Director, Centre for Innovation & Entrepreneurship
o: +61 (0)2 -9385 5671

Australian School of Business
Strategy and Entrepreneurship
University of New South Wales