]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

GRADCOORD-L Home

GRADCOORD-L  May 2011

GRADCOORD-L May 2011

Clarifying the Graduate School's Role in the Admissions Process

Mon, 16 May 2011 17:29:37 +0000

text/plain

MEMORANDUM

Date:   May 16, 2011

To:     All Deans, Associate Deans, Directors, Chairs, Graduate Coordinators and Graduate Staff

From:   Dr. Henry T. Frierson
        Associate Vice President and Dean
        UF Graduate School

RE:     Clarifying the Graduate School's Role in the Admissions Process

At the most recent Academic Deans group meeting, one of the deans stated that the Graduate School was holding up the timely processing of graduate admission applications. If this is a pervasive view among the colleges, there is a need to clear up any existing misunderstanding.

The Graduate School is only involved in the graduate admission process when an applicant approved by a department and college for admission...

(1) ...has less than the required 3.0 grade point average.

(2) ...is missing or has unofficial test scores.

(3) ...has an invalid or ineligible prior degree.

(4) ...is an international applicant from a non-English-speaking country whose English test scores are below the required minimums (6 for IELTS, 77 for MELAB, 80 for Internet TOEFL, 550 for Paper TOEFL, 320 for verbal GRE).

The Graduate School routinely reviews and processes such cases with all due dispatch in this manner:

(1) We check the Graduate School's E-Referral screen for new cases at least four times a day during normal business hours over the usual workweek.

(2) If no further information is required about an applicant, we admit, cancel or deny him/her, then e-mail the final decision to the department (with any germane conditions, comments or caveats), typically within 24 hours of the applicant's appearance on our E-Referral screen (within regular business hours and the usual workweek, of course).

(3) If further information is required, we e-mail the admitting department, typically within 24 hours of the applicant's appearance on our E-Referral screen (within regular business hours and the usual workweek, of course).

(4) If the department does not respond to our initial e-mail, we e-mail weekly courtesy e-mails until the applicant's case is resolved and we can enter a final decision on our E-Referral screen.

I hope this information sheds light on the role of the Graduate School in processing the select portion of graduate admission applications that come its way.

If you or members of your staff have any questions about conditional admission cases requiring Graduate School review and approval, please contact our staff member who handles them, Mr. Gregory Orloff, at [log in to unmask]

Thank you and for all you do to advance the mission of graduate education at the University of Florida.