RECMGMT-L July 2011, Week 3

Re: Corporate Minute Books

John Montana <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 16 Jul 2011 12:56:34 -0400

text/plain

There'd have to be a registered agent in any state, and you could always look up the names of current officers and board members with the Secretary of State.  But of course, that means you have to make the effort, which takes time and money.  And, what if they're not there anymore?  If the company is dissolved, it could have gone out of business, or been bought up by somebody else, or merged into another one; and in every case, there's some successor in interest who owns those items.  Strictly speaking, you can't dispose of them without that somebody's permission, and finding them or proving they don't exist could be time-consuming.

As far as turning everything over to the Secretary as unclaimed property, that would vary by state.  In a lot of states the only unclaimed property they're interested in is money, since the unclaimed property law is really just used as a scam to get money from businesses.  But you're right, in some states, per the unclaimed property statute, you could turn it over, assuming they'd take it, and assuming that in doing so there's no problem with your duty to preserve client confidences and secrets (this is why you can't dodge the whole issue by donating minute books to the local historical society).

But that'd mean filling out a lot of annoying forms and taking it or shipping it to them, again costing time and money that you couldn't bill for, so what you'd most likely end up doing is to take the easy way out and box it all up and send it to storage in perpetuity.  That's why it's problematic for a law firm to take possession of client property, and why it should be returned promptly upon termination of the representation.

Best regards,

John
John Montaņa
Montaņa & Associates
29 Parsons Road
Landenberg Pennsylvania 19350
610-255-1588
484-653-8422 mobile
www.montana-associates.com
twitter: @johncmontana

On Jul 15, 2011, at 7:09 PM, Trudy M Phillips wrote:

> [...]
>
> Trudy M.  Phillips
> Business Consultant
> "Bringing Order Out of Chaos"
> 205-699-8571  Fax 205-699-3278
> _www.trudyphillips.com_ (http://www.trudyphillips.com/)
>

> In a message dated 7/15/2011 4:03:14 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> Here's  something to think about regarding those minute books and seals:
> they're  client property, and you can't dispose of them without client
> permission.  If the client changes firms, winds up, is bought out, merged  or
> whatever, which happens with small companies all the time, you may lose  track
> of them or their successors in interest, which means you might be stuck
> with those seals and minute books permanently.  I'm aware of cases where  law
> firms found themselves in this situation, and wanted to rid themselves of
> large collections of these items, but couldn't -- ethics rules don't permit
> destruction of client property without permission, and losing track of the
> client's whereabouts isn't an exception.
>
> So, if you're going to  maintain them for the client, make sure you return
> them to the client if they  change firms or change ownership or wind up.
>

> Best  regards,
>
> John
> John Montaņa
> Montaņa & Associates
> 29  Parsons Road
> Landenberg Pennsylvania 19350
> 610-255-1588
> 484-653-8422  mobile
> www.montana-associates.com
> twitter:  @johncmontana
>

> On Jul  15, 2011, at 3:30 PM, Julie J. Colgan wrote:
>
>> Thanks John - it's  good to get the corporate perspective too since you
>> represent the  "client".  :)
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 3:06 PM, John  Annunziello
>> <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Julie......
>>>
>>> Not a legal firm, but we have two sets  of minute books.....one stored on
>>> site and one offsite.  As  well, we have scanned them and they are fully
>>> text searchable  through our ECM system
>>>
>>> John Annunziello, CRM,  ermm
>>> Manager, Records and Information
>>> Toronto and  Region Conservation Authority
>>>
>>> "Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be  managed"
>>>

>>> "Julie J. Colgan" <[log in to unmask]>
>>> Sent by:  Records Management Program <[log in to unmask]>
>>> 07/15/2011 02:43 PM
>>> Please respond to
>>> Records  Management Program <[log in to unmask]>

>>> cc
>>>
>>> Subject
>>> Corporate Minute Books
>>>

>>> Hello List Folk!
>>>
>>> I'm hoping to get a quick pulse from  the law firm list members on how
> you
>>> are handling the retention of  corporate minute books (clients' minute
>>> books
>>> -  including seals if you have them).
>>>
>>> Are  you:
>>>
>>> 1. Not keeping them - having the client maintain  them
>>> 2. Keeping them onsite