Skip repetitive navigational links
Next (less recent) in topic | Previous (more recent) in topic
Next (less recent) by same author | Previous (more recent) by same author

Re: Doctoral Programs in Learning/Academic Support

Lisa D'Adamo-Weinstein <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Aug 2011 12:52:40 -0400

text/plain

I agree with all Diana, Elaine, and Maggie, and I have to give NCLCA the
plug it deserves in relation to the focus on learning centers.  I have had
the great pleasure of being involved with NCLCA for 19 years as a member,
presenter, board member, institute mentor, and general groupie.

In 1992, NCLCA was the first professional organization I got involved with
as a graduate studies at Indiana.  I should have noted earlier that it was
because of my graduate assistant role at the Student Academic Center,
NCLCA and people like Frank Christ, Sharon Pugh, Martha Casazza and
Shevawn Eaton that I made the focus of my doctoral studies learning
assistance related.  I was a medieval scholar/frustrated English major for
a year at the Master's level.   I've stayed connected to NCLCA all these
year, defining my career path in learning assistance, because I always
learn something and find wonderful people with whom to collaborate and
share.  The focus on the managerial/administrative aspects of learning
assistance centers is what I value the most.

We also can't forget to reference LSCHE (www.lsche.net) as an invaluable
resource for all learning center professionals.  NCLCA's sister
organizations in CLADEA (http://www.cladea.net/) are also great
organizations. David Reedy did a nice job of discussing them in a post in
the last week or so.  I've had different levels of interaction with them
depending upon the job I had at the time.  I think we have to match our
interests and the realities of our particular campuses to the type of
professional organizations with which we feel the most affinity.

Lisa