Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Education Basic Skills Tests

Karla Sanders <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:41:44 -0500

text/plain

Nora, we bought the language arts/English package for Merit on the
recommendation of our Reading Center director.  She has been using it for
a while to help students with basic language skills and reading.  Some
students have reported that the passages are shorter than the ones on the
ICTS test, and we do encourage students to use those practice tests as
well.  It may be nave of me, but I've been telling students to practice
their comprehension skills with their own textbooks as well because most
books have questions at the end of the chapter that tests for knowledge
and how well you have comprehended what was in the chapter.  Our math
department has developed its own materials for the math portion.  We had
more issues with the reading comprehension and language arts sections than
the math and writing, however.  Karla

Karla J. Sanders, Ph.D., Executive Director
Center for Academic Support & Assessment (CASA)
Eastern Illinois University
600 Lincoln Ave.
Charleston, IL 61920
www.eiu.edu/~assess