Microsoft Lync

"Cromer, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>

Cromer, Dan

Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:58:26 +0000

text/plain

All,
	I've already received something from CoE providing GatorLink usernames.  If you're interested in trying to get an early Lync account (and you don't already have one), please reply with your GatorLink ID.  Note that all UF faculty, staff, and students are defined to Active Directory from the UF Identity Management Directory, even if your college/department doesn't actively use the system.  I was going to request all in the SLCAG-L list, but after I thought about it, you shouldn't be added unless you want, since you'll need to install client software, and also I don't readily have GatorLinks for those using other than @ufl.edu as their e-mail address.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Cromer, Dan
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:48 AM
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: Meeting today at 10:00?

All,
	Microsoft Lync is scheduled to go into full production at UF soon, perhaps by November 1.  There are already several recurring conferences using it.  It doesn't have the expanded eLearning features of the products we've reviewed for that, but it will be available for all faculty and staff, and likely students too, though that's not confirmed.  In my opinion, we in this group should be familiar with its features and use.  I'd recommend its use rather than another messaging product, as it has strong integration with the campus-supported Exchange e-mail and calendaring functions.  Since Microsoft bought Skype, I expect integration with that to come.
	I've been told that some additional early adopters can be added before production, so I'd like to add all in this group, so the rest of you can do some testing and have experience with it.

Dan