]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  November 2011

SOCNET November 2011

Re: Call for Book Chapters--Studies in Mining Social Networks and Security Informatics

Nick Guenther <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 20 Nov 2011 01:48:23 -0500

text/plain

 I call on all academics not to play into this. There are better ways to
 get your research known--and now with the deluge of social software we
 are making better ways all the time. It always seemed to me that a
 fundamental principle of academia was the sharing of knowledge openly.
 Don't support this company anymore! See http://openaccessweek.org/

 I know I don't have a lot of weight on this list, but I think if I can
 make some of you question this then I will have done some good in the
 world.

 On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 06:52:30 +0200, Tansel Özyer wrote:

> Call for Book Chapters--Studies in  Mining Social Networks and
> Security Informatics by Springer Verlag
>
> Editors: Zeki Erdem, Tansel Özyer,Suheil Khoury, Jon Rokne
>
> Recent studies in social networks and security informatics gained
> attraction from the industry and academia. Advances in information
> technologhy rendered the use of almost every kind of data such as
> web,
> health, social networking sites, bibliographic data, political,
> homeland-related data as well as any other types of data
> intrinsically
> having the network structure. The common feature of the data is that
> it can be well represented with graph structure and can be mined to
> accomplish given tasks by using data mining techniques including
> artificial intelligence, machine learning, statistics, and stochastic
> methods.
>
> General areas of interest to the book include information science and
> mathematics, communication studies, business and organizational
> studies, sociology, psychology, anthropology, applied linguistics,
> homeland security studies, biology and medicine.
>
> More specialized topics within Social Network Analysis and Mining
> include, but are not limited to:
>
> [snipped]
>

> Tentative deadlines
> Papers reporting original and unpublished research results pertaining
> to the above topics are solicited. Full paper submission deadline is
> January 08, 2012. These papers will follow an academic review
> process.
> Full paper manuscripts must be in English with a maximum length of 25
> pages preferred(using the LNCS template). Submissions should include
> the title, author(s), affiliation(s), e-mail address(es), tel/fax
> numbers, abstract, and postal address(es) on the first page. You
> should submit your expanded paper using the easychair.org submission
> site: http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=snsi2012. The
> attachment must be in PDF.
>
> Submissions Due: 08 January 2011
> Notification of Acceptance: 23 February 2012
> Revised version due: 23 March 2012
> Final Notification of Acceptance: 23 April 2012
> Final camera-ready version: 13 May 2012
> Summer 2012     : Publication Date (tentative)
>
> Papers will be selected based on their originality, timeliness,
> significance, relevance, and clarity of presentation. Authors should
> certify that their papers represent substantially new previously
> unpublished work.

 (http://www.scottaaronson.com/writings/journal.html):
 "I have an ingenious idea for a company. My company will be in the
 business of selling computer games. But, unlike other computer game
 companies, mine will never have to hire a single programmer, game
 designer, or graphic artist. Instead I'll simply find people who know
 how to make games, and ask them to donate their games to me. Naturally,
 anyone generous enough to donate a game will immediately relinquish all
 further rights to it. From then on, I alone will be the
 copyright-holder, distributor, and collector of royalties. This is not
 to say, however, that I'll provide no "value-added." My company will be
 the one that packages the games in 25-cent cardboard boxes, then resells
 the boxes for up to $300 apiece. "

 Tansel, I realize you're just doing your job and just trying to get by,
 but I can't abide it. I don't mean this as an affront to you, I mean it
 as an affront to the way research is carried out these days.

 -Nick Guenther
 4A Computational Mathematics
 University of Waterloo