]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  December 2011

SOCNET December 2011

Re: Suggestions on Student Exercises for the Collection of (Electronic) Network Data

Maurice Vergeer <[log in to unmask]>

Maurice Vergeer <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 3 Dec 2011 12:33:54 +0100

text/plain

try NodeXL (an MS excel template) to download Twitter and facebook
data or other SNS data.
Be ware for downloading popular people on Twitter such as celebrities
because of the large amounts of data visualization will be
problematic.
But your classroom twitter networks will probably be no problem
see these sites for info and downloads:
www.connectedaction.com and http://nodexl.codeplex.com/

Maurice

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 12:07 PM, David Wagner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> *****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org  *****
>
> Dear Socnet Members,
>
> I'm currently running a module on Research Methods and in the second part of
> the course I would like my students to collect some data, more specifically
> (electronic) network data. Have any of you run some exercises in class that
> worked well and you're willing to share the experience? Are you aware of
> literature on the topic? The course I'm referring to is an undergrad course
> (in Communication Management), so the exercise shouldn't be too
> sophisticated in terms of technical skills. One thing that I'm tempted to
> try is to let students export their Facebook data via Namegenweb
> (https://apps.facebook.com/namegenweb/) or a similar application and let
> them play around with and graph the data in Gephi (http://gephi.org/).
> However, I would love to collect a few more ideas and thought that some of
> you may be able to offer good advise.
>
> Regards from Germany,
>
> David
>
> --
> BSc, MSc, cand PhD
>
> Doctoral Program in Dynamic Capabilities and Relationships
> German Graduate School of Management and Law gGmbH
> Bildungscampus 2
> 74072 Heilbronn
> Germany
>
> Cell: +49-1570-3350959
> Web: http://www.kpsquared.org/

Maurice Vergeer
Department of communication, Radboud University  (www.ru.nl)
PO Box 9104, NL-6500 HE Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Visiting Professor Yeungnam University, Gyeongsan, South Korea

Recent publications:
-Vergeer, M. Lim, Y.S. Park, H.W. (2011). Mediated Relations: New
Methods to study Online Social Capital. Asian Journal of
Communication, 21(5), 430-449.
-Vergeer, M., Hermans, L., & Sams, S. (forthcoming). Online social
networks and micro-blogging in political campaigning: The exploration
of a new campaign tool and a new campaign style. Party Politics.
-Pleijter, A., Hermans, L. & Vergeer, M. (forthcoming). Journalists
and journalism in the Netherlands. In D. Weaver & L. Willnat, The
Global Journalist in the 21st Century. London: Routledge.
-Vergee