GRADSTUDENT-L  2012

GRADSTUDENT-L 2012

Funding News from UF I-Cubed

Mon, 23 Jan 2012 17:17:30 +0000

text/plain

ANNOUNCEMENT

Date:     23 January 2012

To:       All UF Graduate Students, Coordinators and Staff

From:     UF I-Cubed (Innovation through Institutional Integration) Program

RE:       Funding News from UF I-Cubed

(1) I-Cubed Interdisciplinary Research Awards

Application Deadline was EXTENDED to MARCH 30th, 2012 (Friday) by 5:00PM

The Innovation through Institutional Integration (I-Cubed) program at the University of Florida is announcing a new cycle of funding opportunities for graduate students in the STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) and SBE (social, behavioral, economics) disciplines interested in interdisciplinary research.

The Award is intended to:

* Encourage graduate students in the STEM disciplines to propose, develop and participate with SBE students in an interdisciplinary research project.

* Provide graduate students with experience working in an interdisciplinary team environment.

* Encourage graduate students to involve undergraduate students in research activities.

Funding will be provided to support interdisciplinary projects which address:

* State of Florida Topics - encompassing research focused on Florida-based topics, e.g. socioeconomic, environmental, energy, and other areas of research which are of importance to the State of Florida. This may also include community oriented research projects (e.g. working with K-12 classroom or K-12 teachers)

* International Topics - encompassing research focused on global topics. This may include projects conducted in foreign countries.

Priority will be given to projects that:

* Relate to on-going research or are closely connected to a student's thesis/dissertation.

* Include undergraduate team member(s) and have a strong focus on mentoring.

Six awards up to $2,500 each will be awarded to teams of graduate students to conduct projects for duration not to exceed one academic year.

(2) Collaborating with Strangers Workshop and Grants

I-Cubed in collaboration with UF George A. Smathers Libraries is offering two sessions to help graduate students seeking project partners to build interdisciplinary teams.

Collaborating with Strangers Workshop: February 8th at the University Gallery (Fine Arts Building B) at 4:00 PM or March 21st - Location (to be determined) at 4:00 PM

Both sessions will be facilitated by Bess de Farber, UF Libraries Grants Manager

To learn about Co-Lab visit: http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/pio/colab/about.html

Participants of the Co-Lab workshops (prospective participants or participants from previous Co-Lab workshops) will be given a chance to receive additional funding (up to $300) from UF Libraries. These funds will be added to the I-Cubed award if your interdisciplinary project is selected for funding by I-Cubed Program.

(3) Nuts and Bolts Session for Grants Applicants

In addition, I-Cubed Program will hold a Nuts & Bolts Session for grant applicants to answer questions on award application and budget. This session is scheduled for:

* February 24th at the HUB (UF International Center) Room-145 at 2:00 PM

The competition is open to graduate students from across the university. Each team MUST include at least one member from the STEM and another from SBE disciplines.

For more information and application process go to http://i3.institutes.ufl.edu/funding