Cinnamon Teal at Sarasota Celery Fields

Bev Hansen <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 22 Jan 2012 16:28:31 -0500

text/plain

About noon today Al and I got a 30-second view of the adult male Cinnamon
Teal at the end of the dike on Raymond Road, south of Palmer. As you face
the canal, we saw the bird in the reeds immediately to the left of us, not
across the canal to the left, where we heard it had been seen earlier this
morning. Beautiful bird, but so elusive!

Below I have pasted the directions that appeared earlier this month on the
Florida Rare Bird Alert: Directions: From I-75 in Sarasota, take Exit 210
and go east on Fruitville Road to Coburn Road

traffic light. Turn right and follow road as it curves past the Fruitville
Library. The Celery Fields will be on east (left) side of road and Ackerman
Pond on west (right) side. Continue south to Palmer

Blvd. Turn east (left) and go to Raymond Road. Go south (right) on Raymond
Road to just past second curve and a large vegetated pond on west (right)
side of road. (DeLORME p. 97) Park by the gate and walk north on grass path,
following telephone lines until reaching a short canal. Bare tree, usually
loaded with cormorants and Anhingas, is on other side of canal. Area to west
is where Cinnamon Teal is usually found, often hiding in thick vegetation.

Bev Hansen

Spring Hill, FL