Date: March 16, 2012
To: Deans, Department Chairs, Graduate Coordinators and Graduate Staff
From: Henry T. Frierson
Associate Vice President and Dean
UF Graduate School
Subject: Change in Procedure for Collecting Faculty Escort Information for Doctoral Degree Candidates -- Effective Spring 2012
The Graduate School is pleased to announce that the process for collecting faculty escort information for graduate students receiving doctoral degrees at the April 27, 2012 Commencement Ceremony has been streamlined. The process has been decentralized and faculty escort information will now be entered in GIMS by academic unit personnel already authorized to enter graduate student data.
Please note that all doctoral degree candidate escorts must be a member of the UF Faculty.
Faculty escort information for your doctoral commencement participants may be entered through 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, April 10, 2012. After this deadline, the escort information will be forwarded to the Office of the Provost. If you have changes or additional escort data after the April 10, 2012 deadline, please provide updated information to the Office of the Provost by contacting Ms. Nancy Bibbo at [log in to unmask] or 392-2404. The Office of the Provost sends instructions via email to individual faculty escorts concerning the details of the ceremony.
We greatly appreciate your cooperation in gathering this information. The following instructions are provided for academic unit personnel entering faculty escort information.
1. Log into GIMS.
2. Click on the Department Data menu selection.
3. Click the View button next to the "Current term faculty escorts for doctoral candidates in this department" text.
4. Scroll to the doctoral candidate record then click "Edit" in the blue record header to enter faculty escort information. The data set includes any current term application for the Doctor of Education, Doctor of Philosophy, and Doctor of Plant Medicine degrees and is not limited to active candidates.
5. Click the down triangle in the "Select a Committee Member" pull down box to select a faculty escort from the candidate's supervisory committee. To select a faculty escort who is not on the candidate's supervisory committee simply enter the faculty's UFID in the "Faculty UFID" field then click "Find".
6. The "Comments" field is optional and is included for entering helpful information for the Office of the Provost pertaining to the faculty escort. For example, "Dr. A is escorting degree candidate Z also".
7. Click "Save" in the blue record header to save escort information and comments.
8. Click "Cancel" in the blue record header to stop the current edit.
9. Click "Delete" in the blue record header to delete the existing escort and comment information.
Please email [log in to unmask] if you experience any system problems.