Re: centralization measures

Philip Leifeld <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 14 Mar 2012 11:33:53 +0100

text/plain

Dear Simone,

Please find below a couple of citations from political science or public
policy (broadly defined, including several political sociology papers).
They all employ centrality measures in one form or another. Perhaps you
will find some of them useful for your purposes.

Cheers

Philip

Alpert, L.; Gainsborough, J. F. & Wallis, A. (2006), 'Building the
capacity to act regionally - Formation of the regional transportation
authority in South Florida', Urban Affairs Review 42(2), 143-168.

Beyers, J. (2002), 'Gaining and seeking access: The European adaptation
of domestic interest associations', European Journal of Political
Research 41(5), 585-612.

Beyers, J. & Kerremans, B. (2004), 'Bureaucrats, Politicians, and
Societal Interests. How Is European Policy Making Politicized?',
Comparative Political Studies 37(10), 1119-1150.

Böhler, M. & Vuilleumier, D. (1998), Die Schweizerische <Telecom-Policy>
im Spannungsfeld des technologischen, ökonomischen und
gesellschaftlichen Wandels, in Uwe Serdült & Ulrich Klöti, ed.,
'Politiknetzwerke: Beiträge zu einem Forschungsseminar'.

Chappuis, P.; Good, B. & Jörg, C. (1998), Die Implementation der
Krankenkassenprämienverbilligung in den Kantonen Basel-Stadt, St. Gallen
und Zürich, in Uwe Serdült & Ulrich Klöti, ed., 'Politiknetzwerke:
Beiträge zu einem Forschungsseminar'.

Choi, S. & Brower, R. (2006), 'When practice matters more than
government plans. A network analysis of local emergency management',
Administration & Society 37(6), 651-678.

Cinalli, M. (2004), Horizontal Networks vs. Vertical Networks within
Multi-Organisational Alliances: A Comparative Study of the Unemployment
and Asylum Issue-Fields in Britain, in '‘The Changing Structure of Civil
Society’ ECPR Joint Sessions of Workshops'.

Darves, D. & Dreiling, M. (2002), 'Corporate Political Networks and
Trade Policy Formation', Humanity and Society(26), 1.

Diani, M. (1995), Green Networks: A Structural Analysis of the Italian
Environmental Movement, Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh.

Dreiling, M. (2000), 'The class embeddedness of corporate political
action: Leadership in defense of the NAFTA', Social Problems 47(1), 21-48.

Fowler, J. H. (2006), 'Connecting the congress: A study of cosponsorship
networks', Political Analysis 14(4), 456-487.

Futó, P.; Pálné-Kovács, I.; Fleischer, T. & Dombi, P. (2003), 'The
Evolution of Multi-level-Governance in Regional and Environmental
Policies in Hungary'.

Fürst, D.; Schubert, H.; Rudolph, A. & Spieckermann, H. (2001),
'Regional Actor Networks Between Social Capital and Regional
Governance', Connections 24(1), 42-67.

Gemperli, S.; Hollenstein, P. & Nielsen, T. (1998), Die Förderung der
Photovoltaik in den Kantonen Aargau und Thurgau, in Uwe Serdült & Ulrich
Klöti, ed., 'Politiknetzwerke: Beiträge zu einem Forschungsseminar'.

Getimis, P. & Demetropoulou, L. (2004), 'Towards new forms of regional
governance in Greece: the Southern Aegean Islands', Regional & Federal
Studies 14(3), 355-378.

Gil Mendieta, J. & Schmidt, S. (1996), 'The political network in
Mexico', Social Networks 18(4), 355-381.

Gil Mendieta, J.; Schmidt, S.; Castro, J. & Ruiz, A. (1997), 'A Dynamic
Analysis of the Mexican Power Network', Connections 20(2), 34-55.

Grote, J. R. (1995), Policy networks or clientelist exchange: From
metaphores to the measurement of state-society relations, Mannheimer
Zentrum für Europäische Sozialforschung (MZES), Mannheim.

Helbling, M.; Egli, S. & Matter, S. (2005), Lokale Eliten und kommunale
Politiknetzwerke - Einflussreiche Akteure in der Einbürgerungspolitik
einer Schweizer Gemeinde, in Uwe Serdült, ed., 'Anwendungen sozialer
Netzwerkanalyse', Institut für Politikwissenschaft, Universität Zürich,
Zürich, pp. 105-118.

Higley, J. & Moore, G. (1981), 'Elite Integration in the United States
and Australia', American Political Science Review 75(3), 581-597.

Hughes, J.; John, P. & Sasse, G. (2002), 'From Plan to Network: Urban
Elites and the Post-Communist Organisational State in Russia', European
Journal of Political Research 41(3), 395-420.

Hämmerli, A.; Gattiker, R. & Weyermann, R. (2006), 'Conflict and
cooperation in an actors' network of Chechnya based on event data',
Journal of Conflict Resolution 50(2), 159-175.

John, P. (1998), 'Urban economic policy networks in Britain and France:
a sociometric approach', Environment and Planning C-Government and
Policy 16(3), 307-322.

Jordana, J. & Sancho, D. (2005), 'Policy Networks and Market Opening:
Telecommunications Liberalisation in Spain', European Journal of
Political Research 44, 519–546.

Knoke, D. (1996), Comparing policy networks: labor politics in the U.S.,
Germany, and Japan, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge.

Koschade, S. (2006), 'A social network analysis of Jemaah Islamiyah: The
applications to counterterrorism and intelligence', Studies in Conflict
& Terrorism 29(6), 589-605.

Krauss, M.; Mueller, N. & Luke, D. (2004), 'Interorganizational
Relationsships Within State Tobacco Control Networks: A Social Network
Analysis', Preventing Chronical Disease 1(4), 1-25.

Kriesi, H. & Jegen, M. (2001), 'The Swiss energy policy elite: The actor
constellation of a policy domain in transition', European Journal of
Political Science 39(2), 251-287.

König, T. (1992), Entscheidungen im Politiknetzwerk. Der Einfluß von
Organisationen auf die arbeits- und sozialrechtliche Gesetzgebung in den
80er Jahren, Dt. Univ.-Verl., Wiesbaden.

König, T. & Bräuninger, T. (1998), 'The Formation of Policy Networks :
Preferences, Institutions and Actors' Choices of Information Exchange
Relations', Journal of Theoretical Politics 10(4), 445-471.

Miskel, C. & Song, M. L. (2004), 'Passing reading first: Prominence and
processes in an elite policy network', Educational Evaluation and Policy
Analysis 26(2), 89-109.

Moore, S.; Eng, E. & Daniel, M. (2003), 'International NGOs and the Role
of Network Centrality in Humanitarian Aid Operations: A Case Study of
Coordination During the 2000 Mazambique Floods', Disasters 27(4), 305-318.

Nanetti, R. Y.; Rato, H. & Rodrigues, M. (2004), 'Institutional Capacity
and Reluctant Decentralization in Portugal: The Lisbon and Tagus Valley
Region', Regional & Federal Studies 14(3), 405-429.

Neukomm, S.; Isele, C. & Spieler, M. (1998), Der Erfolg von
Quotenvorlagen, in Uwe Serdült & Ulrich Klöti, ed., 'Politiknetzwerke:
Beiträge zu einem Forschungsseminar'.

Nölke, A. (1995), Geberkoordination für die Länder Afrikas südlich der
Sahara. Analyse eines interorganisatorischen Netzwerkes zwischen bi- und
multilateralen Entwicklungshilfeagenturen, Nomos-Verl.-Ges..

Osa, M. (2001), 'Mobilizing Structures and Cycles of Protest:
Post-Stalinist Contention in Poland, 1954-1959', Mobilization 6(2), 211-231.

Pappi, F. U.; König, T. & Knoke, D. (1995), Entscheidungsprozesse in der
Arbeits- und Sozialpolitik. Der Zugang der Interessengruppen zum
Regierungssystem über Politikfeldnetze: Ein deutsch-amerikanischer
Vergleich, Campus Verlag, Frankfurt/New York.

Pappi, F. U. & Schnorpfeil, W. (1996), Das Ausschußwesen der
Europäischen Kommission: Grundstrukturen und Kommunikationsmöglichkeiten
für Verbände, in T. König; E. Rieger & H. Schmitt, ed., 'Das Europäische
Mehrebenensystem', Campus, Frankfurt a.M., pp. 135-59.

Provan, K.; Milward, H. & Isett, K. (2002), 'Collaboration and
integration of community-based health and human services in a nonprofit
managed care system', Health Care Management Review 27(1), 21-32.

Provan, K. G.; Isett, K. R. & Milward, B. H. (2004), 'Cooperation and
Compromise: A Network Response to Conflicting Institutional Pressures in
Community Mental Health', Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly
33(3), 489-514.

Provan, K. G.; Nakama, L.; Vaezie, M. A.; Teufel-Shone, N. I. &
Huddleston, C. (2003), 'Building Community Capacity Around Chronic
Disease Services through a Collaborative Interorganizational Network',
Health Education & Behaviour 30(6), 646-662.

Pálné-Kovács, I.; Paraskevopoulos, C. J. & Horváth, G. (2004),
'Institutional 'Legacies' and the Shaping of Regional Governance in
Hungary', Regional & Federal Studies 14(3), 430-460.

Raab, J. (2002), Steuerung von Privatisierung. Eine Analyse der
Steuerungsstrukturen der Privatisierung der ostdeutschen Werft- und
Stahlindustrie 1990-1994, Westdeutscher Verlag, Wiesbaden.

Rees, N.; Quinn, B. & Connaughton, B. (2004), 'Ireland's pragmatic
adaptation to regionalization: the Mid-West region', Regional & Federal
Studies 14(3), 379-404.

Rosenthal, N.; Fingrutd, M.; Michele, E.; Karant, R. & McDonald, D.
(1985), 'Social Movements and Network Analysis. A Case Study of
Nineteenth-Century Women's Reform in New York State', American Journal
of Sociology 90, 1022-1054.

Sager, F.; Meyrat, M. & Maibach, M. (2001), ''Boundary Delineation' in
grenzüberschreitenden Policy-Netzwerken: Primat der 'Policies' oder der
'Polity'? Das Fallbeispiel des Policy-Netzwerks zur 28-Tonnen-Limite',
Swiss Political Science Review 7(1), 51-82.

Schaefer Caniglia, B. (2001), 'Informal alliances vs. institutional
ties: the effects of elite alliances on environmental TSMO networks',
Mobilization 37(6).

Scheidt, B. (1995), Die Einbindung junger Technologieunternehmen in
Unternehmens- und Politiknetzwerke : eine theoretische, empirische und
strukturpolitische Analyse, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin.

Schneider, V. (1993), Games and Networks in Large Technical Systems: The
Case of Videotex, in Fritz Scharpf, ed., 'Games in Hierarchies and
Networks', Campus, Frankfurt, pp. 251-286.

Schneider, V. (1988), Politiknetzwerke der Chemikalienkontrolle: eine
Analyse einer transnationalen Politikentwicklung, de Gruyter, Berlin New
York.

Schneider, V. (1986), 'Tauschnetzwerke in der Politikentwicklung',
Journal für Sozialforschung 26(4), 383-416.

Sciarini, P. (1996), 'Elaboration of the Swiss Agricultural Policy for
the Gatt Negotiations: a Network Analysis', Schweizerische Zeitschrift
für Soziologie 22(1), 85-115.

Shin, K.-H. & Timberlake, M. (2000), 'World Cities in Asia: Cliques,
Centrality and Connectedness', Urban Studies 37(12), 2257-2285.

Song, M. & Miskel, C. (2005), 'Who are the influential? A cross-state
social network analysis of the reading policy domain', Educational
Administration Quarterly 41(1), 7-48.

Steiner, M.; Jenny, D. & Schällebaum, R. (1998), Drogenpolitik in den
Städten Chur, St. Gallen und Bern, in Uwe Serdült & Ulrich Klöti, ed.,
'Politiknetzwerke: Beiträge zu einem Forschungsseminar'.

Stevenson, W. B. & Greenberg, D. (2000), 'Agency and Social Networks:
Strategies of Action in a Social Structure of Position, Opposition, and
Opportunity', Administrative Science Quarterly 45(4), 651-678.

Thurner, P. W. & Binder, M. (2006), 'EU Transgovernmental Networks: The
Emergence of a New Political Space beyond the Nation State?', Technical
report, MZES.

Thurner, P. W. & Stoiber, M. (2002), 'Interministerielle Netzwerke:
Formale und informelle Koordinationsstrukturen bei der Vorbereitung der
deutschen Verhandlungspositionen zur Regierungskonferenz 1996',
Politische Vierteljahresschrift 43(4), 561-.

Tikkanen, J.; Leskinen, L. & Leskinen, P. (2003), 'Forestry Organization
Network in Northern Finland', Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research
18(6), 547-559.

Vögeli, C. (2005), Innen- und aussenpolitische Entscheidungsstrukturen
in der Schweiz: Eine vergleichende Netzwerkanalyse, in Uwe Serdült, ed.,
'Anwendungen sozialer Netzwerkanalyse', Institut für
Politikwissenschaft, Universität Zürich, Zürich, pp. 147-160.

Widmer, T. & Troeger, V. E. (2005), Ereignisdatenbasierte
Netzwerkanalyse, in Uwe Serdült, ed., 'Anwendungen sozialer
Netzwerkanalyse', Institut für Politikwissenschaft, Universität Zürich,
Zürich, pp. 161-181.

Zijlstra, G. J. (1978), 'Networks in Public Policy: Nuclear Energy in
the Netherlands', Social Networks. An international journal of
structural analysis 1, 359-389.

Am 13.03.2012 20:42, schrieb Simone Gabbriellini:

> Dear List,
>
> I am in looking for papers where centrality and/or centralization
> measures are used in the context of social sciences (with a preference
> for sociology).
>
> I have found a lot of papers where these measures are described in
> details, but I would like to receive some advice to select relevant
> papers where centrality and/or centralization measures are used in
> research context to support theoretical claim.
>
> Any suggestion is more than welcome!
>
> Best regards,
> Simone Gabbriellini
>
> PostDoc @ DEIS
> Università di Bologna

Philip Leifeld                    | [log in to unmask]
Postdoctoral Research Fellow      | Phone: +41 58 765 5673
Eawag: Swiss Federal Institute    | Mobile: +49 1577 6830349
of Aquatic Science and Technology | http://www.philipleifeld.de