Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: filming lectures

David Downing <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Apr 2012 11:16:26 -0400

text/plain

Question 1: Skipping class is as old as "The Airliner" (for those of you who have been out and about in the Midwest). When the single mother has a child become ill at 7:00 a.m., or your inconsiderate boss calls you into work because it is 'the season', or Organic Chemistry I is only offered on our main campus in a 5 county region and you got stuck in traffic because there was an accident on the highway, I can't tell you how appreciative students are that they can watch a missed lecture and hopefully stay abreast of the work in their class. We keep all of the lectures for all of the Chem classes posted for the entire semester and many of the students go back to review Stoichiometry or Moles, etc. for their Final Exams.

Question 2: This professor has been videotaping his lectures for quite some time, but we had used a lengthy process before where I would take his camera and burn a 'Master Copy' of his lecture onto a DVD. Then students would bring in their blank DVD's and we would use a 7 bay DVD burner to copy the lecture for them, many times burning 50 or 60 copies. Then they would come back after a few hours and pick up their copy. Then I found out that our institution was part of iTunes U and voila, a much cheaper, much faster, way of getting the lecture to the student.

David Downing
Edison State College
8099 College Pkwy
Ft. Myers, FL
239.489.9308

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gertken, Nicole A
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2012 9:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: filming lectures

My main question is how do you use filmed lectured as a supplement rather than an excuse to be absent?

Also, did you ask the professors if they would be willing to film their lectures or were they already doing it?

Thanks,

Nicole

Nicole Gertken
Academic Services Coordinator
University College
Northern State University
(605) 626-3573
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."
 - Henry David Thoreau