]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

PSYART Home

PSYART  April 2012, Week 3

PSYART April 2012, Week 3

Re: Fwd: [DIV10] Does Experiencing Great Art Make Us Better Persons?

Norm Rosenblood <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion Group for Psychology and the Arts <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 17 Apr 2012 23:39:25 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

 There is a powerful scene in the movie JUDGEMENT AT NURENBURG showing Nazi
officers listening to a concert at a concentration camp. Some were weeping
as they sensitively experienced the depth and intensity of the music. The
next scene depicted the hundreds of gassed bodies being transferred to the
ovens for cremation.

It would appear that the artistic productions of Heine, Goethe, Neitsche
and Mendelsohn--to name a few--were no match for the monomania of a
leader and many of his German countrymen.

One also is also stuck by the artistic sensibilities of Browning's Duke of
Ferrara as he tosses off remarks about the artistic merits of the
portrait of the wife he recently murdered.

Norm Rosenblood

Norman Rosenblood, Ph.D., Training and Supervising Psychoanalyst
Co-director, Hamilton Centre for Psychoanalysis
8 Mayfair Place
Hamilton, Ontario
L8S 4G1